• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

Books for 2014

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
I went to the AAPC website to see what books they were offering for 2014 and it just left me with more questions!

I see that AAPC has special reduced prices until June 30th, but what books should I be ordering? It would be great it Laureen covered this in the webinar so we could make an informed decision by June 30th.

a) Last year there was a freeze on ICD-9 code changes and really there was no great reason to buy the ICD-9-CM book for 2013. Maybe, they had some typos corrected, but the codes did not change. (Of course, I did not figure this out until I had the 2013 book.) Is that freeze still on? Should I just keep the 2013 ICD-9-CM book to use for the first part of 2014?

b) Should I purchase the ICD-10-CM Draft book? Or wait for the ICD-10-CM "Real" version?

b) When will the ICD-10-CM "Real" manual be available?

I guess these questions may have different answers for those people taking the CPC exam in 2014, before and after Oct 2014, and those who are already certified and have access to an encoder, such as Supercoder.

Lori Woods

Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
CCO Practicoder
PBB Student (CPB™)
ICD-9 Student
PBMA Student (CPMA®)
ICD-10-PCS Student
HCC Student
I just purchased a 2011 ICD-10 draft because I was told they are pretty much the same since it came out. I really wanted to get the look & feel of it beforehand so I purchased an Ingenix copy for $25 with shipping from Barnes & Noble via Go Peachy. I think it's nice to actually have one to look at when I have a question it's easier than using ICD-10data.com.

Alicia Scott

Moderator, CCO Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
These really are good questions and I think after Laureen gets back from the Train the trainer ICD-10 Boot camp she will have answers to these questions. She is going right away. I am waiting for the first of July.

Regarding the ICD-9 manuals I think if I am certified I would not get a new ICD-9 in 2014 at all.

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
This was also covered in the June 2013 Q&A webinar. Basically, you use the year of manuals that you are testing in. Thus, if you are testing in 2013, you will want to use the 2013 manuals. If you are testing for the CPC exam in 2014 you want to use 2014 manuals, even the ICD-9-CM.
As of Jan. 1, 2015, there will no longer be any ICD-9 codes on the CPC exam.

Alicia Scott

Moderator, CCO Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)