• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

Coding Manuals: AMA vs. Ingenix

L

LunaRaevn

Hi there,
Gonna give myself away as a "newbie" newbie. So new I've not quite started yet. I'm a student wannabe at this point hoping that status changes real soon.
Anyway, I have noticed that there are two publishers of Procedure Coding Manuals. There's the AMA's Current Procedural Terminology, aka CPT manual. Then there's the Ingenix Current Procedural Coding manual.
I do not have either at this point. Amazon does not have a "Look Inside" feature for either one at this point. So, curious Kitty that I am does not get to see the difference.

How 'bout any of you? What differences can you share with me that you are aware of between the two? Which do you prefer and why?
And here's a biggie: when taking the CCO's PBC course, which of them is recommended or required?

Alicia Scott

Moderator, CCO Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
This is an excellent question actually. ;) My first choice is Elsevier for manuals. We also use Ingenix at the college but I don't really like the setup they have. One thing to note is that you can get standard and professional editions. In my opinion it is worth it to get the professional editions because it has color highlights. I also prefer spiral but that is just me. One of my students purchased a set from the AAPC and really liked them.

Now if you are a PBC student you might want to consider getting the same set that Laureen uses because of the Blitz videos. The page numbers will line up that way. I believe she uses an Elsevier set. If you want to know what the set looks like there is a picture of the here, just scroll down.
https://www.cco.us/physician-based-medical-coding-course

L

LunaRaevn

Thank you Alicia. I see that the ones I called the AMA are the Elsevier one you mention. I had my eyes on those originally when I came across the Ingenix ones and got curious. I do plan on enrolling in the PBC course so I'll go with Elsevier. I was thinking I may need to get the 2013 manuals this late in the game as I will not be starting the course until late October. 2013 manuals though may not match the Blitz videos. What is the suggestion there? Buy 2012 too (YiKes!) ? or just following along as best can using 2013? or will there be new Blitz videos. (I have not seen the Blitz before so am not sure that is even a valid question. Thank you for putting up with my ignorance.)

Alicia Scott

Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
From this point on you need to purchase only the 2013 manuals. The 2012 Blitz will still work with 2013 manuals. Some of the page numbers will be a little different. I forgot to mention that the AMA is the only ones who put out the CPT manuals. They have a copyright on it therefore it will always look the same.

Can't wait to see you get started. One of the great things about the PBC course is that it works with just about any schedule. When you are ready we will be here for you. :)

Michele

CPC
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
Hi All,
I am currently using the Ingenix books to go through the course, but if I could do it again I would purchase the same books Laureen uses. She covers alot of material and I could transition through the videos with her more easily if I could use her page references. I also noticed the illustrations are better, and she has color-coded charts in her books that are a plain black and white format in mine. If you were on the fence as to which company to purchase from I hope this info helps!

L

LunaRaevn

Thank you Michele. That is helpful. I think I too would like the color-coded charts.

Alicia Scott

Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
I just won a 2013 ICD-9-CM manual from the AAPC Facebook weekly drawing. How cool is that? :D

Luna

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Are the coding manuals included in the Physician Based Coding Course going to be 2012 or 2013? and are they spiral bound like the picture? Just making plans....on whether I'll be ordering the AAPC's bundle while they are offering discounts on 2013. If your course already includes 2013 and they are spiral bound I'll wait until I get enrolled in your course which is likely to be mid to late October.

Alicia Scott

Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
The manuals are not included in the course. I think Laureen had considered that at one time but a lot of people already have the manuals. Also with discounts sometimes you can get them at a better price then CCO would be able to do and we want you to save as much money as you can. I also like the spiral the best. The AAPC has some excellent deals right now. You can also get them off of Amazon. At the college we use Elsevier a lot and they have great manuals. I believe they have a standard and professional edition. The professional has more pictures and some extras throughout the book.

Luna

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Thank Alicia for clarifying that for me. I did not realize that course did not include the manuals but it does make sense. I will be taking the MTA course too and that one does come with the pictured textbook.

Now, bear with me as I have further questions and what manuals to get. I am currently looking at the bundle packages offered at a nice discount on AAPC. Two bundles catch my eye and I am uncertain which to choose.
Hospital Bundle 2 (http://www.aapc.com/medical-coding-books/2013/2013-hospital-bundle-2.aspx)
Physcian Bundle 2 (http://www.aapc.com/medical-coding-books/2013/2013-physician-bundle-2.aspx)

The differences between the two are in the ICD-9. Hospital bundle being a 1, 2 & 3 volume. Physician bundle being a 1, 2 volume. I noticed in the picture of the Physician Based Coding Course that it shows a 3 volume ICD-9 book. Is it safe to assume then that no matter what purchase I choose it is in my best interest to go with an ICD-9 manual that includes 3 volumes?

The other question involves a fourth in each bundle: 2013 Procedural Coding Expert. That one is not shown in course outline and is a mystery to me. If not necessary to course, how might one benefit from this manual? Is it needed for the certification tests?

If that fourth book is not necessary there is another there are two other bundles that do not include it. Hospital Bundle 1 and Physician Bundle 1. Again the differences being in the ICD-9 volume numbers.

As you can tell I am extremely green at this. I know I'm going to make you all proud of me though. ;)

Alicia Scott

Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
No trouble at all Luna. That is what I am here for. You do not need the Procedural Coding Expert manual. In fact you are not allowed to use it for the CPC exam. The bundle with the 3 manuals is what you need. Now as far as the Hospital Bundle or the Physician Bundle if I had a choice I would go with the Hospital. You will not use Volume 3 for the PBC course as we instruct on Physician Based Coding. Volume 3 is used for inpatient coding. It doesn't hurt to have it and both versions are acceptable for the CPC exam. If you think you might want to work or learn some more in the future with inpatient coding get the hospital version. When I compare the versions I have from Elsevier there are more pictures and body system examples. Not sure if this is the same with the AAPC.
So, go for door number #1 Bundle 1 ;)

Luna

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
:(
I'm going Whaaaaa! here for a little bit. I just enrolled in the MTA/PBC courses. I had ordered 2013 manuals thinking that was what I would need. So, tonight I just read the "Read Me First" Welcome to the Physician Based Medical Coding Course Student Area letter and it says for the course you need 2012 manuals. :(Whaaaa!

Alicia Scott

Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Not true Luna. You need the manuals for the year you are testing. You will test in 2013 so you have purchased the proper manuals. That note will need to be changed. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

Luna

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
OH what a relief! Now I can do the happy dance! :):D:p

Alicia Scott

Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
We have GOT to come up with ah happy dance icon!

Alicia Scott

Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)