• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

CPC Complete Newbie

Michael Huntoon

Brief background:

Earned a Masters in Education in 1994. Haven't been to school since (as a student).
School always came very easy to me - very little studying, aced tests.
Taught full-time for 8 years at the elementary level.
Stay-at-home-Dad for several years with our four kids.

Several months ago, my wife and I decided it was time for me to go back to work. Having no desire to go back into the classroom, it was time to make some life decisions - specifically, a new career field.

After doing some research, I found that Medical Coding seemed to be a good growth field where I should be able to find employment fairly easily. I don't know any coders, personally, but from what I've read online I'm somewhat optimistic.

I immediately signed up with AAPC and took their Human Anatomy and Medical Terminology courses and did pretty well in each. I've since been working on the CPC certification prep program and I find that it's kicking my behind. As I mentioned above, school has always come easy to me. That's not to say that I loafed or didn't take things seriously, it's just that I've always had good comprehension and retention skills that have benefited me when taking tests. I don't know if it's the way this material is being presented, the fact that I've been out of the classroom as a student for over 20 years, I'm just getting older, or a combination of all three. Regardless, I'm somewhat concerned.

I recently finished chapter 6 of their program (Introduction to CPT, Surgery Guidelines, HCPCS, and Modifiers) where I scored a 95 on the final exam. My wife was very proud of me, but it scared the daylights out of me because I have no idea what I learned in that chapter. Taking a multiple-choice test set up similar to the way the real certification test is set up, I'm able to ace things by either recalling the information, knowing where to look, or simply reverse-engineering the test (starting with the answers and looking for the question). If the certification exam is really set up like this, I'll do great - even though I realize it's far more intense in terms of number of questions and time.

My concern, however, is the fact that I'll feel like a fraud bringing my shiny new certification into a prospective employer with no clue how to read the medical reports and parse out what I truly need to get the job done. I wouldn't feel at all comfortable passing myself off as someone who does understand the job (no matter what our current financials look like) and I'm certain that I'd be exposed fairly quickly anyhow.

I've reviewed a few of Laureen's youtube videos and I've found the cco.us site to have an extensive collection of excellent videos (far better than the extreme monotone of the AAPC audio lectures). I've also found other resources via Google that have helped to some degree, but I feel like I've missed some essential building blocks and that with the shaky foundation I've prepared any further construction will result in a collapse.

I can't afford the Blitz program at this time and, to be honest, I'm not sure they are even the answers I'd need at this point.

I'm just hoping that someone else here will be able to relate to my current status and offer some insight I might be missing on ways to better understand the parts that are tripping me up. Specifically, the chapter 7 practice application I'm currently working on may as well be written in Farsi as I don't understand it anyhow. I look at the OP and don't know where to look (ICD or CPT or HCPCS or a combo of the three) without the prompts they offer, which I actually find distracting.

If anyone has any suggestions for me, I'd greatly appreciate them. I'm sorry my first post here is so lengthy, I've just been struggling with this for a few weeks now and wanted to explain what's bothering me so much in detail for the benefit of anyone willing/able to help.

Thanks!

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
I can relate to much of your situation and feelings. Coding takes a lot of PRACTICE because, for example,
1) there are so many rules (guidelines) that you need to remember
2) you need to learn and remember what to look up in the index -- or you end up wasting a lot of time
3) you need to be able to read carefully (and not get tripped up by your misreadings)
4) the body of knowledge you need to know is a moving target (codes and guidelines change somewhat every year, not mention ICD-10-CM which is an entire code set change which is coming Oct. 1,2015.)
5) the procedures are often unfamiliar to students, so it is hard to read a report and realize what exact procedure was performed.
and more!

Because you had not yet had the opportunity practice all that much, it will seem - at times - overwhelming when you are learning it. If you keep at it, however, it will get better and you will increase your confidence. There are things to do to help you with learning the material. Sign up for our free monthly Q&A webinar, and take advantage of free tools that CCO offers. After you finish your course, I highly recommend the Blitz, and getting practice exams (we have a free one). I think the Blitz is definitely worth the price. Also, attend the local chapter AAPC meetings. They usually have a presentation for a CEU, and even if you can not actually use the CEU until after you are certified, you can network a bit and learn more about coding an the profession. Sometimes they have a group review session to help prepare for the CPC Exam, where you could get some good pointers.

Keep the faith. I'm sure you will be able to press on and get certified! After that you will still need practice coding real world medical charts but other coders tend to be helpful, so you are not ever totally isolated trying to do a job.

Because you are a mature well educated person, you will have some advantages over many people seeking work. You write well, can express yourself well, and can teach, for starters... Those are great skills to have. Prospective employers will notice.

Wishing you success in your studies!

Laureen

Queen Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Thanks for sharing your story Michael - glad to have you with us.

My advise to you is TIMED practice exams. If you score low consider the Blitz videos. If you're between a 70-85% keep doing timed practice exams until you get your score up. Once you hit 85% you're ready.

You mentioned you dont have the funds and I understand but for others that might benefit and if your situtaion changes I'd consider CCO's Medical Coding Practicum - it gives you over 3000 real world cases to code with correct answers and rationale and a weekly class you can attend to go over cases you don't understand why you got wrong.

Link to Practice Exams
Link to Medical Coding Practicum