• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

Failed CPC exam. What am I doing wrong?

Cs1130

Blitzer
Hi Laureen, I just saw my score online and received a 60%. I am planning to retake the exam in September. I purchased your practice questions and Blitz videos which, they were very informative but I was wondering, aside from watching the review videos what advice can you give me regarding the exam and is two month of studying sufficient amount of time to prepare? Do you recommend I purchase an up to date AAPC study guide. I am currently reading through my friends study guide from 2011; some of the codes are outdated but the concepts seems the same, aside from coding burns. Do you have any good study guide book recommendation? And do you happen to know any good practice exam books or sites aside from CCO or AAPC? I would like to be exposed to more mock exams prior to the official exam in September.

Just a brief background about myself, I have been coding radiology procedures for seven years and I have very brief experience with chemotherapy coding. I did not attend school for medical coding but taught myself by reading Carol Bucks books and work experience. Do you recommend that I take a course?

Thank you, I hope to hear back from you or your team soon.

Laureen

Queen Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
You are what I call a "tweener" - between needing a full course and just a review. You mentioned to Blitz. Did you go through all the videos and mark your manual to look like mine? What year Blitz do you have?

The next step after going through the Blitz videos and marking up your CPT manual is to take timed practice exams until you're making an 85%. Did you do that step?

Here is a blog article related to this

CPC Exam Sucesss Forumla

Debra Locke

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
I feel your pain. I sat for the exam recently and my score was a 68%!
If you don't mind me echoing Laureen's advice what she recommends above is exactly what I am doing this time around. I think in particular her 2014 Blitz Video series in conjunction with the AAPC Study Guide and current coding manuals will leave you in the best position for success when you re-test.
My mistake was time management. Laureen goes into test taking strategy tips within the Blitz program. I just didn't practice them well enough and ensure that I hit the magic 85% mark on practice exams before sitting for the actual exam.

Also her method for prepping your manuals allows your eye to immediately go to the important information that distinguishes related codes from each other. I am a firm believer in having a mentor and not reinventing the wheel when I don't have to.

Good luck to you as you prepare for your retake. I know it isn't fun but I am sure we will both be successful and I am told many people have to take the exam more than once so we are in good company! :D

Rosetta D

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
ICD-10-CM Student
You are almost there---very close!!!
Do as many practice test that you can---then go over rationals---I learned from my mistakes. Prepare your books (bubble, highlight, tab, etc)
I had tons of notes in my books , which helped tremendously and was a huge time saver.

Good Luck! :)

Eddie Forge

I have failed the CPC test twice but I can not afford the Blitz videos. Are their any other recommendations or does anyone know where I can possibly get a discount on the videos or know someone that will be willing to sell me the videos at a discounted rate? I am desperate because bringing $300 weekly home and working a temp job is not working. Please help!!

Cs1130

Blitzer
Hi Laureen, I purchased the 2014 Blitz Videos. I plan on re-watching the videos and do more time mocked exams like Debra and Rosetta mentioned. My biggest mistake was not exposing myself to time exams and time management....

Debra and Rosetta, thank you for the words of encouragement and advice. Rosetta, How much time did you invest to
prepare for the exam?

Debra, we are almost there!!

Thank you again!