• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

Getting rid of the -A when you do not code

GiGi North

Strange question - I am planning on getting certified since I think it will help with my job but I do not code day in and day out. I have worked for a payer for 31 years (weird in this day and age to stay with same employer that long) but does the 2 years have to be applying codes for 8 hours a day? If that is the case I will never get rid of it.

Thanks.

Gia.

JenniferP2

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
MTA Student
CCO Practicoder
I am not an expert. (just started the MTA course lol) But i heard somewhere Lauren say to be simple when writing your letter.
Write "Gia has been employed with our company for 31 years, and in her day to day activities is involved in coding"
And that should be enough.

Rosetta D

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
ICD-10-CM Student
Strange question - I am planning on getting certified since I think it will help with my job but I do not code day in and day out. I have worked for a payer for 31 years (weird in this day and age to stay with same employer that long) but does the 2 years have to be applying codes for 8 hours a day? If that is the case I will never get rid of it.

Thanks.

Gia.
Hi Gia,

Wow 31 years at one employer--thats awesome---I actually work at the same office for 20 years :)
I think if part of your job includes utilizing CPT and ICD -9 codes then that would qualify to have the "A" removed. I think you have to submit 2 reference letters reflexing that to AAPC.

I took my CPC on 3/23/2014 and passed!!! :) My employer wrote me a letter and I submitted that along with a letter that I took Coding Certification.Org ...80 hour PBC course and I had the "A" removed :)
Good luck !!!!