• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

EM Help

dianadawn

I am a student and I am having such a hard time with E&M to the point where I just sit a cry. I am having a hard time picking out all of the items that I need for say ROS. I was wondering if anyone has some advice for me. I have the Blitz videos and have watched the E&M section several times but its not helping me extract the keywords for the ROS, HPI and so on. I was wondering if the E&M video series that are seperate from the Blitz series have added content thats not included in the Blitz? I dont want to spend the $140ish dollars on the E&M videoes if all of that is covered in the Blitz series. (I have email customer support about the content and have not heard back) Any advice and encouragement is welcomed!! Thank you!

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
I hear ya, sister! There are many times I had to learn something that was majorly challenging. I have found the following things to be helpful to get rid of the mental blocks that are preventing me to grasp what i needed to grasp, so I lovingly pass them on to you.

I know this will sound like it has nothing to do with it, but here it goes. Clear out that "I can't do it" energy by flooding your brain with positive thoughts. You can't learn if you are suffering from fear that you can't learn! Fear chokes growth, including mental growth!

Take a walk, stretch or do yoga, listen to calming music or energizing music (you know what will help most) , take a long hot shower, get a message, what ever you think your body and mind needs at the moment. Think of your mental block as a temporary problem that you can certainly overcome.

Drink plenty of water - your brain needs it. Smile when you study to trick your brain in to thinking you are having a good time, and soon you will be having a good time. Figure out what part of the day you have your best energy and study for no longer than an hour before taking a break. The idea is be as good to your body, mind, and spirit to support your learning. It will make a huge difference.

Then try again, going over the materials you have, and work the examples.

I, personally, haven't been through the E&M videos, so I can't tell you what else is in them, so hopefully someone who has don so will chime in on that...

If you haven't downloaded the Understanding E& M Coding Step by Step free download, that might be a new source of input for you. It is available on the Free Guides page.

Take heart! You will get this!

MichaelrCPC

Michael A. Reynolds, CPC, CCP-P, CPMB, CBCS, OS
You can also try E/M university as they have a free vid on documentation guidelines for ROS and HPI. But here is a cheat that may help.

Also, good to use the bullet system when shoosing your levels
Your history levels asre as follows

Problem F EPF Detailed Comp
HPI Brief 1-3 Brief 1-3 Extendend 4+ Extd. 4+
ROS None Prob-Pert 1 Extnd 2-9 Comp 10+
PFSH None None Pertinent 1 Comp 2-3

Now for your examination as follows

Prob. F EPF Detailed Comp
Exam (limit to eff. BA limited to affected Extend of affected General multi-
or OS) BA or OS (s) and BA(s) and other system (OSs only)
other related OS(s) related OS(s)

# ofr BA/OS 1 2-7 2-7 Extendend 8+

Aso remember when calculating your exam you take into consideration not only the BA or OS but also constitutional, and out of that group no matter how many you pick they omnly count as 1 bullet

Try this

Pt. comes in complaining of an earache in the right ear for the last 2 days. On a scale of 1-10 pt. gives an 8 for severity. The health history was completed by the mother and reviewed by the MD. The MD looked at only the ears. The pt. had a fever of 101F and appeared to be only in minor distress. Here both your levels would be EXP. The exam level is an EPF because the MD focused not only on the ears (OS) but falso on the constitutional (temp. and general appearance-which counts as one) so together total is 2

Alicia Scott

Moderator, CCO Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Diana, call me and we will talk through it. Sometimes you just need a person vs. a video. I think you may be closer then you think. You need some confirmation that you are right.