• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

I did not pass the CPC exam

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Sorry to hear that. I'm sure it is discouraging, but hopefully next time will be the one. I hope you can stay positive, and try again before long.

Nevergiveup

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Practicoder
Sorry to hear that. I'm sure it is discouraging, but hopefully next time will be the one. I hope you can stay positive, and try again before long.
Thanks Ruth. I am going to study and retake it in October. I am trying to stay positive especially since I did so much better than the first time. I have a very supportive husband who told me to take it again in October.

Nevergiveup

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Practicoder
Ruth, can u answer a question for me or pass it along to laureen? I was given the areas I need to study. Now if they did not list, does that mean that I passed that area of study. I used the blitz videos to help me study for the exam.

Carmen

Carmen Butler, CPC
Hi Nevergiveup,
I can only imagine how you feel, I must tell you that one of the most important skills I have learned in coding is editing.
If you can take a long problem and slowly subtract only what you need to code, things like; supine position, 35 years female, lower abdominal incision, to name a few, if you do this constantly you will manage the time need it to code long problems. The second skill is to code without the multiple answers. If you can read a problem and find the codes without looking and the multiple choices, you will increased your time traveling thru the books. And finally look at every page of your books, you will be surprise.

Good Luck.

Nevergiveup

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Practicoder
Hi Nevergiveup,
I can only imagine how you feel, I must tell you that one of the most important skills I have learned in coding is editing.
If you can take a long problem and slowly subtract only what you need to code, things like; supine position, 35 years female, lower abdominal incision, to name a few, if you do this constantly you will manage the time need it to code long problems. The second skill is to code without the multiple answers. If you can read a problem and find the codes without looking and the multiple choices, you will increased your time traveling thru the books. And finally look at every page of your books, you will be surprise.

Good Luck.
Thanks Carmen

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
I checked with Laureen, and this is her answer:
"I'm not sure of their formula but I'm guessing if you don't get a 70% in a particular area they tell you to focus on that area. The way the person took the test is a factor though - if they did not use good time management then the last questions they did - that they rushed through - may show up as a weak area when it is just weak time management."

Nevergiveup

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Practicoder
I checked with Laureen, and this is her answer:
"I'm not sure of their formula but I'm guessing if you don't get a 70% in a particular area they tell you to focus on that area. The way the person took the test is a factor though - if they did not use good time management then the last questions they did - that they rushed through - may show up as a weak area when it is just weak time management."
Thank so much Ruth for getting back to me and thank laureen. I will sign up to retake the exam and go back to the blitz videos.

Nevergiveup

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Practicoder
Take a practice exam and keep doing it until you are at least 85%, then you know that you are ready to take the exam again.
Thank u Carolyn. I plan on doing this again for the next exam. I did it for this one too.

Joni24walter

Blitzer
i am studying for my third take. My first take had scores all over the board. I retook the test then with that test brought up my really low scores so I am actually got most categories with in a 5% range. so i havent looked at a book for six months. what is my best strategy; i wont be able to buy the blitz videos for a couple of weeks. I am trying to study alittle at a time..

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Have you Bubbled and Highlighted your books? That is good to do, and Laureen gives lots of tips for marking up your books in the Blitz Review Videos, but it is helpful to start on your own so some of it is done before you do the Blitz. You'll get thru the Blitz faster that way. Here is a video that briefly shows you the Bubbling and Highlighting technique, and the first part of the video gives you other useful tips.

Have you done any Practice Exams? Do them while timing yourself, that is, if the practice exam is 50 questions, aim for 1 hour 10 min to complete it. You can find a free one here. Plan spend 2 to 3 times as long reviewing the rationales once you are done, and record the "lesson learned" from any errors. You can review your "lessons learned" before every study session or before your next practice test.

If you have an area (e.g. radiology, integumentary, etc.) that gives you problems, you could spend extra time reviewing the material from your coding text books.

Try to get psyched for studying and practicing so you are ready for the exam! Keep the faith that you can do this! Wishing you luck! :)