• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

ICD-10 Just around the corner

Alicia Scott

Moderator, CCO Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
As many of you already know ICD-10-CM is right around the corner. It was going to happen in 2013 but has been pushed back to October 2014. This gives everyone a little more time but the truth is you need to start getting familiar with what ICD-10-CM is now and why we are switching. CCO will be right there for you when it is time to get certified in ICD-10-CM.

Here is a clip from CMS that gives you more information about ICD-10-CM.
http://www.aapc.com/ICD-10/cms_icd10.aspx

Tell me your thoughts about ICD-10-CM. What questions do you have about the change and getting ready?

Laureen

Queen Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Alicia you did a great job on the ICD-10 segment in tonights webinar - kudos! We'll have to remember to put the YouTube clip here when it's ready.

Alicia Scott

Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Breaking news!
CMS: ICD-10 2014 Date Official
Friday, August 24, 2012
The final rule setting the ICD-10-CM implementation date as October 1, 2014 was released by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) this morning.
The rule, which will be published in the Federal Register Sept. 5, ends months of speculation spawned when public comment was solicited by CMS in April. The rule, which also sets dates for health plan and provider identifiers, emphasizes providers and payers must adopt the code set by the 2014 date, which is a one-year delay from the previous implementation date.
The rule explains the one-year postponement allows providers and payers additional time to implement the new code set.
Watch for another email next week in which AAPC will outline ICD-10 implementation, documentation, and code set training opportunities and assistance.
AAPC
2480 S 3850 W, Suite B
Salt Lake City, UT 84120
800-626-CODE (2633)
www.aapc.com

D

Danielle

I like ICD-10-CM it is very different yet very similar to ICD-9-CM
What I mean by it is very different is all codes are alphanumeric and they are 5-7 digits whereas ICD-9-CM is mostly numeric with v and e codes being the only alphanumeric codes and they are 3-5 digits
but very similar because the concepts are pretty much the same only a few guideline changes

I think ICD-10-CM is great because everything has its own code there should not be any more unspecified codes I love the treasure hunt of looking for codes and in ICD-10-CM there are a lot of treasures (codes) :)

I am glad that they decided to delay implementation a year but I have already been through 2 bootcamp/classes and am planning to go to more throughout this year

I have to begin teaching ICD-10-CM next year so I need to know it this year!

Alicia Scott

Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
We have already started to teach ICD-10-CM in our advanced coding classes. I want my students when they go into an interview to answer questions with confidence regarding ICD-10-CM. Now mind you we don't go into the detail we do with the present code set.
So far I have not managed to work in a bootcamp. Who did you get yours through. Laureen and I are planning on becoming ICD-10-CM certified instructors very soon.

D

Danielle

I went through the AAPC but my friend who is also an instructor went to the AHIMA one, so we had both inpatient and outpatient covered! I would also love to be a certified ICD-10-CM instructor I am sure my director would love it too! Do you go through AAPC or AHIMA or another organization for this? I am going to send you an e-mail later today when I have a chance(Alicia) :)

Alicia Scott

Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Looking forward to your e-mail.

D

Danielle

the e-mail I sent to you came back to my inbox I am going to try again sorry:(

Laureen

Queen Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Hi Jessica - you did it! Welcome aboard.

Alicia Scott

Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
I just talked to the AAPC and they mentioned since the CMS has made an offical announcement for the start date of ICD-10 we will start to see things changing. The AAPC will be offering some new things soon I would imagine. It is going to be interesting to see what this new year brings.

Karen Fan

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
Hi Alicia, I work in ICD 9 coding all day, and the thought of ICD 10 has been alittle scary. So I looked in my Carol Buck step by step book. She has chapters in ICD 10 overview, OP coding guidelines, Using ICD 10, and chapter specific guidelines. After just scanning these chapters it is looking like my work load is going to triple. Not to mention getting the doctors to be specific for ICD 10. I guess we are all just going to have to keep working at this.

D

Danielle

If I can jump in here, I recently went to a ICD-10-CM bootcamp

The first thing the instructor asked us "How many of you are a little nervous about ICD-10-CM?" every single coder raised her hand then she explained it is because it is fear of the unknown, by the end of this bootcamp you will no longer be nervous. I thought okay yeah I probably will still be nervous but we will see:)

At the end of the bootcamp she re-asked the question and no one raised a hand! She then asked "how many are excited?" and everyone raised their hand!

I think it will be easier because everything has a code no more unspecified (or shouldn't be if we can get the doctors to get more specific) That is going to be the major thing is to get documentation more specific, but if we have what we need I think that coding will be easier?

The AAPC has fast forwards http://www.aapc.com/icd-10/crosswalks/index.aspx you can get one for individual specialties this is a crosswalk from the most used diagnosis codes used in that specialty

I tell my students to not worry because we are going to be teaching ICD-10-CM in its fullest in plenty of time for them I have begun introducing some differences in ICD-9 and ICD-10 through You tube. We are also putting together a bootcamp of sorts for the community people currently in the field

Laureen has posted in another discussion about findacode app for the iphone, ipad or tablet and it is a great resource for coders and it is free!

ICD-10-CM has me excited but I was too once very nervous about the big change

Alicia Scott

Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
I am really excited as well about ICD-10. It is going to be much easier to teach in fact. There is much less guess work. Think of it as ICD-9 with a prefix and suffix added. I don't think we are going to have as much trouble with the physicians. In fact, they may be a lot nicer because they will know now that you may be asking them to be more specific. ;)

kayal

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
Hi, I am studying for my CPC exam, and while reading all your quotes about ICD 10, I was wondering if CCO will be offering a course in it. Thank you.

kayal

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
Since I am studying for my test, which will have ICD 9 on it, should I go ahead now and be studying for ICD 10 on my own, or wait and take a course after becoming certified so I can have the actual certificate for it and CEUs?

Alicia Scott

Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Kayal we are working on ICD-10 already. Keep checking back for updates. Laureen and I are excited to get started but we want to make sure that we offer a top of the line product for you.

As far as studying ICD-10 now I would wait a bit. You are going to see a lot of ads and info out there starting now because a date has been made official. If you are ready to take your exam now then do that. Use ICD-10 for CEUs like you mentioned.