• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

ICD 9 and CPT Manuals - CPC Exam

Jod

Hi,
I am thinking about taking CPC in January 2014. Does anyone know if it is a good idea to use my 2013 manuals. I want to start bubbling my books using the blitz, but I dont know if I should invest in the 2014 manuals for the exam and bubble that, or just use what I have which are the 2013 manual. Is it a good idea to use the 2013 manuals in 2014 for the CPC Eam. Do the manuals change drastically.
What's your opinion?

Thanks!

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
You should start using the 2014 manuals in January 2014, but check with AAPC just to be on the safe side. A good rule of thumb is to always use current manuals for the current year.

Laureen

Queen Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Yes use 2014 CPT and 2014 HCPCS but for this year only you can get away with a 2013 ICD manual due to ICD 10 being implemented in October the ICD-9 Manual for 2013 is fine.

Theresa

Hello, so we can use the 2013 manuals for a January or February exam? I have already bubbled and tabbed my books but missed the last exam of the year. I was afraid I was going to have to buy the 2014 books. I wasn't sure of how much change there was from the two years but in bubbling my CPT, I found that a section in the surgery section had been totally deleted so I was almost sure I would need to buy the 2014 manuals for next years exam. I am very happy not to have to do this. Thank-you!!

Alicia Scott

Moderator, CCO Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
To clarify, you will want to get the 2014 CPT and HCPC manuals but you can use the 2013 ICD-9-CM manual for 2014.

ICD-9-CM 2013
CPT 2014
HCPC 2014

Testing in 2014

Theresa

Thank you Alicia and Laureen, I guess I misunderstood what you meant in the last post. I will purchase the 2014 CPT and HCPCS manuals for the exam in 2014 but still use my 2013 ICD9.

Alicia Scott

Moderator, CCO Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)