• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

It's official I am now a CPC-A!

jaybro

Jill B
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
MTA Student
Took my exam on 4/11 and just found out I passed. I am on cloud 9. I started the PBC program in January of 2013 so it's been a long journey. The long hours of studying and restudying paid off. Thank you Alicia and Laureen for your guidance and coding program. I was hired as an outpatient coder in November and now can add the CPC-A to my name. I am on my way!
Jill:D

Alicia Scott

Moderator, CCO Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Jill I just got back from the AAPC conference in Nashville. What great news to come home to.

Laureen

Queen Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Congratulations Jill! Thanks for sharing. Any advice for new comers?

Nevergiveup

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Practicoder
Took my exam on 4/11 and just found out I passed. I am on cloud 9. I started the PBC program in January of 2013 so it's been a long journey. The long hours of studying and restudying paid off. Thank you Alicia and Laureen for your guidance and coding program. I was hired as an outpatient coder in November and now can add the CPC-A to my name. I am on my way!
Jill:D
Congrats Jill

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
That's awesome! Congratulations, Jill!

jaybro

Jill B
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
MTA Student
Thank you ladies for the congrats. Laureen you asked what advice I would give a new comer.
I recall starting the PBC program and thinking this isn't so difficult! But then I came to the nut and bolts of coding, the ICD-9 Chapters and thought how can anyone get this, it was so overwhelming and hard to understand. My advice for newbies is not to beat yourself up for not remembering everything right away. It will come with repetition and the future chapters in the program. I used to get so frustrated that my initial chapter test scores were below 70%. I took the test over, learned from it and moved on. By the time I completed the program everything came together. Prior to the PBC program I had to leave a job I loved as a team lead for a dental office to finding a significantly lower paying job as a Clinical Assistant to obtain medical insurance for myself and my husband. From there I became a PCA then Patient Account Service rep over 3yr's time. Upon completion of the program I applied for a Coder position that required 1 yr experience. I figured it couldn't hurt! I interviewed and was offered the position. I had to work my way down and then back up to get experience in the medical field. It has been hard financially for us but has finally paid off. I gained on the job experience and then took my certification and passed. I hope my story can help others. Now on to ICD-10 training in a few weeks. Jill CPC-A

Alicia Scott

Moderator, CCO Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
You are going to love ICD-10 Jill. I do. Thank you for sharing your story. Can you also post on the testimony page if you have not already? www.cco.us/testimony

Positive stories like yours reflect what hard work and consistency can do.

Nevergiveup

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Practicoder
Thank you ladies for the congrats. Laureen you asked what advice I would give a new comer.
I recall starting the PBC program and thinking this isn't so difficult! But then I came to the nut and bolts of coding, the ICD-9 Chapters and thought how can anyone get this, it was so overwhelming and hard to understand. My advice for newbies is not to beat yourself up for not remembering everything right away. It will come with repetition and the future chapters in the program. I used to get so frustrated that my initial chapter test scores were below 70%. I took the test over, learned from it and moved on. By the time I completed the program everything came together. Prior to the PBC program I had to leave a job I loved as a team lead for a dental office to finding a significantly lower paying job as a Clinical Assistant to obtain medical insurance for myself and my husband. From there I became a PCA then Patient Account Service rep over 3yr's time. Upon completion of the program I applied for a Coder position that required 1 yr experience. I figured it couldn't hurt! I interviewed and was offered the position. I had to work my way down and then back up to get experience in the medical field. It has been hard financially for us but has finally paid off. I gained on the job experience and then took my certification and passed. I hope my story can help others. Now on to ICD-10 training in a few weeks. Jill CPC-A
Thanks Jill for posting. Yes it helps a lot. It helps me. I am studying for the CPC exam. I am not in the medical field right now. But I want to get my foot in the door which I am finding difficult. If u don't have any experience and I am not trying for any coding jobs, they do not want to interview you. You give me hope. I will keep pushing along and see what happens.

Rosetta D

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
ICD-10-CM Student
Congratulations!!!!! Thanks for your sharing your journey , wishing you success for the road ahead!!!!

jaybro

Jill B
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
MTA Student
Rosetta i think we started this journey together. So happy to see you have passed your exam to. Isnt it such a relief. Looking back it was all so worth it. Best wishes to you!

To Nevergiveup-Yes,keep pushing along. Any type of job with a clinic, hospital or even insurance company will help you move closer to that coder position. And, once you pass your exam I would still apply for those jobs that say experience required. Often times employers don't update the wording in the job posting and keep it pretty generic. After I was hired i asked my manager why she chose me and she said it was my excitement and enthusiasm to be a coder. You just never know.
Jill

Nevergiveup

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Practicoder
Rosetta i think we started this journey together. So happy to see you have passed your exam to. Isnt it such a relief. Looking back it was all so worth it. Best wishes to you!

To Nevergiveup-Yes,keep pushing along. Any type of job with a clinic, hospital or even insurance company will help you move closer to that coder position. And, once you pass your exam I would still apply for those jobs that say experience required. Often times employers don't update the wording in the job posting and keep it pretty generic. After I was hired i asked my manager why she chose me and she said it was my excitement and enthusiasm to be a coder. You just never know.
Jill
Thanks Jill. You are right... Just never know. Will post again if anything happens.

Rosetta D

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
ICD-10-CM Student

Jill
I have been MIA her on the forum ---yes it is such a relief to have past---now still trying to figure out which direction I want to go towards :)