• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

Looking for Career Guidance...

VeronicaS11

Hello,
I am currently knee deep in obtaining credits for my AS in Business Administration. My initial plan was to transfer on to obtain my bachelors degree. Recently, I started thinking about changing and switching to an HIT program. By switching I figured I could obtain my RHIT certification and then go for my coding certificate. I had been told that both of those together would net me a job more quickly and easier. If I do the HIT program I'm basically back tracking which is what has me worried. My question is - would I have the same success if I continue on with my bachelors degree in business and then pursue a coding certification? Any comments/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Veronica

Alicia Scott

Moderator, CCO Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
I would never back-track. Move forward. The RHIT is nice and helpful but being certified with a CPC through the AAPC or a CCS through AHIMA is what will get you employed in my opinion. Having a degree in business is excellent. With a bachelors degree you will be setting yourself up to have an administration or management position. Being certified with that degree will make you extremely marketable.

Something else that will help you is get work experience in the hospital or physician office setting. From a receptionist to billing this allows you to get background knowledge that will make you even more marketable. Soak up as much knowledge as you can.

Lakisha1976

I would never back-track. Move forward. The RHIT is nice and helpful but being certified with a CPC through the AAPC or a CCS through AHIMA is what will get you employed in my opinion. Having a degree in business is excellent. With a bachelors degree you will be setting yourself up to have an administration or management position. Being certified with that degree will make you extremely marketable.

Something else that will help you is get work experience in the hospital or physician office setting. From a receptionist to billing this allows you to get background knowledge that will make you even more marketable. Soak up as much knowledge as you can.
I agree with Alicia 100%

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
I also agree with Alicia. You never stop learning in the medical field and you always learn something new.