• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

Q&A On a practice cpc exam, the question is:

vlhof

Which of the following drugs is not pending FDA approval?
a. 90664 (this is supposed to be the correct answer)
b. 90666
c. 90667
d. 90668

The cpt manual I have is dated 2012. On page 461, all of the codes is marked with a lightning icon, indicating they are all FDA approval pending. Also, I looked for the answer on the internet and found that now all of the above codes (a thru d) are now FDA approved. So what is the correct answer.

Thank you.

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Things change! I suspect you are looking at a practice test that is based on the 2013 CPT Manual and was last updated early 2013 for people taking the 2013 CPT exam.

In 2012, all the choices were pending FDA approval, as you indicated. In the 2013 CPT Manual 90664 is for an influenza virus vaccine that was FDA approved. So that is the why it is the correct answer.

Since early 2013 the FDA has been doing something with our tax money and perhaps got around to approving the vaccines for the other codes. However, I just checked Supercoder, and for 90666 - 90668 they are still showing the lightning bolt for these codes. So maybe you have more recent info, but the practice exam questions are based on the manuals for a particular year, not what is on the internet or in special bulletins from the FDA.

As long as you know how to find the type of information that the question is asking, and you have the current CPT manuals when you take the real exam, you will be fine.

Dolores Soliz

Blitzer
Things change! I suspect you are looking at a practice test that is based on the 2013 CPT Manual and was last updated early 2013 for people taking the 2013 CPT exam.

In 2012, all the choices were pending FDA approval, as you indicated. In the 2013 CPT Manual 90664 is for an influenza virus vaccine that was FDA approved. So that is the why it is the correct answer.

Since early 2013 the FDA has been doing something with our tax money and perhaps got around to approving the vaccines for the other codes. However, I just checked Supercoder, and for 90666 - 90668 they are still showing the lightning bolt for these codes. So maybe you have more recent info, but the practice exam questions are based on the manuals for a particular year, not what is on the internet or in special bulletins from the FDA.

As long as you know how to find the type of information that the question is asking, and you have the current CPT manuals when you take the real exam, you will be fine.
I agree...went directly to contents to look up where the pending approval codes were & there they are. Contents help alot