• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

Six Building Blocks for Successful ICD-10 Implementation

Laureen

Queen Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)

Luna

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
"forensic coders"....I like that term.

Very interesting interview. Exciting things ahead in the coding field.

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
Is forensic coding a different type of coding? Thanks, Laureen, for sharing the article.

Luna

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Is forensic coding a different type of coding? Thanks, Laureen, for sharing the article.
I don't think "forensic coding" is a different type of coding. I think the term "forensic coding" was used simply to paint a picture of the depth of knowledge & skills medical coding is going to demand more and more of.

She gave a pretty good description in the interview of "forensic coding". It's enough to make anyone feel proud (in an accomplished sort of way) of being a medical coder or working in the health records arena. :)

The quote I love:
LESLIE: What do you mean by "forensic coders?"
PATTY: Clinical coders with forensic skills apply their technical knowledge of clinical terminologies and classifications, medicine, and technology to review, analyze, abstract, validate, and code the facts of a patient's story. Their data mining skills are indispensable as is their competency in the use of electronic documentation sources, computer-assisted coding tools, and mapping algorithms. The ability to collaborate with physicians and others also will be more essential than ever for the successful coder. The ability to add value by being stewards of quality of care data will become a very important role for coding professionals, especially as the industry moves from fee-for-service to value-based-purchasing of health services.

(There actually is such a thing as Forensic Coding, but its application does not apply to this field of work. It's a totally different ball field.)

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
Thanks, Luna, for explaining what the article meant when it refers to "forensic coding."