• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

Too old to start in the HIM field?

George Bailey

Looking for feedback as to whether my age, 53, would be a problem in getting hired as a coder if I switch fields to HIM. I do have 12 years experience as a Medical Technologist (MT-ASCP) in clinical laboratories and a Bachelors in Biology. I guess I would just get a basic coding certification to get started because that seems like the quickest and cheapest way to going. We have three hospitals in the area and lots of outpatient and physician office type facilities. Anyone have an opinion?

Alicia Scott

Moderator, CCO Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
George you have a lot of things going for you. A Bachelors is going to give you help as an employer will know they can move you up into positions that require one in the future. MT is excellent as well. This shows you have the knowledge that new coders will not have. Medicine and Labs really throw new coders in fact.

I would go with a basic coding credential. You don't need any more college or advanced training. You need to learn the coding and how to pass the exam. They are going to be willing to give you on the job training for the specifics they might have. Don't forget to network with a local coding chapter.

Your age is nothing to be concerned about. Being a man helps you as well. I know it might not sound right but this is a female dominated sport. :) We need more men.