• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

What was your favorite topic at an AAPC meeting?

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Have you attended an AAPC meeting where the topic really resonated with you? Maybe it really gave you some insight, inspired you, or just was a welcome change of pace from your usual meetings.

Please share the topic! We all can benefit from great topic ideas!

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
I really enjoyed the New Windsor, NY chapter meeting when they had Dr. Gina Puglisi describe a Mock Hospital Stay from Admission to Discharge. The idea was to listen to the scenario (9 days worth) and jot down the CPT codes, or if not the actual codes, what the procedure or EM service was that needed to be coded. Then we reviewed the whole thing, slowly, keeping count of the codes. It was fun and educational.

Sharon Clarke

Blitzer
Ruth,
Do you enjoy the New Windsor chapter? I am thinking of switching chapters as ours just isn't a good fit for me, although the meetings are very local and New Windsor would be a bit of a drive.

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
New Windsor is a bit of a drive for me, too, but the Poughkeepsie, NY chapter, which is where I live, does not seem to have gotten off the ground, so the New Windsor is where I belong.

I get the Danbury and Middletown notices, and Poughkeepsie (if they ever send one). I have only been to New Windsor and Middletown meetings.

The New Windsor chapter has some interesting speakers from time to time, but I can't say I go to every meeting. I have been to 3 New Windsor meetings, I think, in 13 months. I went once prior to my exam. Mostly I like it when I attend.

Went to Middleton once. Part of it was really interesting and the other part not so much, because the speaker assumed we were all on the same page, knew what she was talking about, and further, thought we should be interested! Not good assumptions!

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
My chapter's meeting topic in February 2011 was How to Read an Operative Report. I really enjoyed it because that was the year that I was studying to take my 2nd CPC exam (and I did pass).

Sharon Clarke

Blitzer
Thank you Ruth,
You also cleared up another question I had. So, it is possible to attend meetings that are not your local chapter? I was curious.

I used to get the Manhattan and Westchester chapters but decided to stop. I knew of the Middletown chapter but it is about 45 min north and in the winter that isn't a lot of fun to drive. However, I didn't realize the New Windsor chapter was also in the area. I would really like to look at a new group as my local one really isn't stimulating, although I have hope for our next meeting as it is on a subject I am interested in.

Off the AAPC site to sign up for notifications from New Windsor!

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
My chapter's meeting topic in February 2011 was How to Read an Operative Report. I really enjoyed it because that was the year that I was studying to take my 2nd CPC exam (and I did pass).
Carolyn, I would like to have that topic at a chapter meeting! Thanks for sharing.

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Thank you Ruth,
You also cleared up another question I had. So, it is possible to attend meetings that are not your local chapter? I was curious.

I used to get the Manhattan and Westchester chapters but decided to stop. I knew of the Middletown chapter but it is about 45 min north and in the winter that isn't a lot of fun to drive. However, I didn't realize the New Windsor chapter was also in the area. I would really like to look at a new group as my local one really isn't stimulating, although I have hope for our next meeting as it is on a subject I am interested in.

Off the AAPC site to sign up for notifications from New Windsor!
Sharon, Maybe we will meet at a New Windsor chapter meeting sometime. That would be fun! :)

Alicia Scott

Moderator, CCO Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
It is important to find a good fit.

kayal

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
My local chapter had a meeting a few months ago with a guest speaker and the topic was "The Life of a Claim." It was very informative, fun, and even involved some role playing. It traced the route of a pt.'s claim from the time the pt. first called to make an appt., and all the way through. It was surprising to see how many personnel it actually takes to fully process a claim and makes this future coder very appreciative of all the work each person in a physician's office does.

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
That sounds really interesting. I'm sure I'm clueless about what is involved. It would be a good topic for many coders, I think.

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)

Melissa_M

My local chapter had a meeting a few months ago with a guest speaker and the topic was "The Life of a Claim." It was very informative, fun, and even involved some role playing. It traced the route of a pt.'s claim from the time the pt. first called to make an appt., and all the way through. It was surprising to see how many personnel it actually takes to fully process a claim and makes this future coder very appreciative of all the work each person in a physician's office does.

This sounds like a lot of fun. Was your guest speaker a coder from your chapter?

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
I have a new favorite topic for a chapter meeting. Today I went to the Albany, NY chapter meeting where we saw four 45 minute videos of the "Live Autopsy" series presented by by Dr. Gunther von Hagens from the Institute of Plastination, Heidelberg, Germany, assisted by Dr. John Lee.

Maybe you've seen some of von Hagens work: according to Wikipedia, von Hagens developed the Body Worlds exhibition, showing whole bodies plastinated in lifelike poses and dissected to show various structures and systems of human anatomy, which has since met with public interest and controversy in more than 50 cities around the world.

The experience of watching the dissection of cadavers focusing on the systems of musculoskeletal, respiratory and circulation, digestion, and reproduction was fascinating, and got me 3 CEUs for a $5 fee. The hours flew by... How cool is that?

What's your favorite AAPC chapter meeting / event so far?