• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

AAPC'S NEW RISK ADJUSTMENT CREDENTIAL THE CRC - CERTIFICATION INFORMATION

How many people know what HCC coding is?

• Total voters

Holly Cassano

CPC CRC ICD 10CM CERTIFIED
Staff member
HCC Moderator
Welcome to the new HCC discussion board that Deb and I are hosting for CC0!!

One of the first announcements is to let everyone know about the AAPC's new Risk Adjiustment Credential, that is now available on the AAPC's website: https://www.aapc.com/certification/crc-certified-risk-adjustment-coding.aspx

I was selected to be on the Steering Committee for the AAPC last Fall and was one of about 8 individuals from across the country that created the beta exam and what is now the official CRC exam.

It was an exciting process and all of us that were asked to be on the committee, had been asking the AAPC to consider this credential over the past few years. The timing couldn't be better with all the coming changes with ACA and Medicare Advantage programs themselves.

It is truly an exciting time to become a Certified Risk Adjustment Coder - you can study from a course I authored for CCO last year, that is robust and currently being updated to include 2015 edits/changes, or you can take the AAPC course, authored by Brian Boyce. Both are excellent courses that each take a different approach, but are value packed.

If anyone would like to speak to me personally about the course I authored for CCo, please reply here and I will speak with Laureen and set up a time to speak with those individuals collectively.

So read on and GET CERTIFIED!!!!! :):):):)

The following is from the AAPC website that describes what a CRC does and also what will be on the exam.

A Certified Risk Adjustment Coder has proven by rigorous examination and experience that they know how to read a medical chart and assign the correct diagnosis (ICD-9-CM) codes for a wide variety of clinical cases and services for risk adjustment models (e.g., HCC, CDPS, and HHS Risk Adjustment). Invest in your future with the CRC™ certification—certified coders earn 40% more than non-credentialed coders.

The CRC's abilities include:
  • Expertise in reviewing and assigning accurate medical codes for diagnoses performed by physicians and other qualified healthcare providers in the office or facility setting (e.g., inpatient hospital)
  • A sound knowledge of medical coding guidelines and regulations including compliance and reimbursement – allowing a CRC to understand the impact of diagnosis coding on risk adjustment payment models
  • Understand the audit process for risk adjustment models
  • Ability to identify and communicate documentation deficiencies to providers to improve documentation for accurate risk adjustment coding
  • Knowledge of anatomy, pathophysiology, and medical terminology necessary to correctly code diagnoses

The CRC Exam

• 150 multiple choice questions
  • 5 hours 40 minutes to finish the exam
  • One free retake
  • $325 ($260 AAPC Students)
  • Open code book (manuals)
The CRC examination consists of questions regarding the correct application of ICD-9-CM Volume 1 and 2 diagnosis codes used for risk adjustment coding

The CRC exam thoroughly covers:

Compliance
  • 23 multiple choice questions
  • Identify common coding errors identified in RADV audits
  • Understand the process for prospective audits
  • Understand the process for RADV audits
  • Understand the process for retrospective audits
Diagnosis Coding
  • 60 multiple choice questions
  • Demonstrate the ability to apply the Coding Clinic guidance to coding scenarios
  • Demonstrate the ability to properly code amputations
  • Demonstrate the ability to properly code artificial openings
  • Demonstrate the ability to properly code atherosclerosis
  • Demonstrate the ability to properly code AV fistulas
  • Demonstrate the ability to properly code CHF
  • Demonstrate the ability to properly code CKD
  • Demonstrate the ability to properly code complications of devices
  • Demonstrate the ability to properly code COPD
  • Demonstrate the ability to properly code CVA/Stroke
  • Demonstrate the ability to properly code dementia
  • Demonstrate the ability to properly code depression
  • Demonstrate the ability to properly code DVT
  • Demonstrate the ability to properly code hypertension
  • Demonstrate the ability to properly code malnutrition
  • Demonstrate the ability to properly code manifestations of diseases (eg, DM, stroke, COPD)
  • Demonstrate the ability to properly code mental disorders
  • Demonstrate the ability to properly code neoplasms
  • Demonstrate the ability to properly code pneumonia
  • Demonstrate the ability to properly code pressure ulcers
  • Demonstrate the ability to properly code pulmonary embolism
  • Demonstrate the ability to properly code pulmonary fibrosis
  • Demonstrate the ability to properly code seizures
  • Demonstrate the ability to properly code skin ulcers
  • Identify common coding errors in risk adjustment
  • Identify diagnosis codes that risk adjust
  • OBGYN specific conditions that risk adjust
  • Pediatric specific conditions that risk adjust
Documentation Improvement
  • 18 multiple choice questions
  • Communicate documentation discrepancies with providers
  • Identify documentation discrepancies
Pathophysiology/Medical Terminology/Anatomy
  • 8 multiple choice questions
  • Identify common acronyms for industry terminology
  • Identify common acronyms for medical terminology
  • Identify the anatomic structures, locations and functions
  • Understand disease processes and interactions for common chronic conditions
  • Understand the meaning of common medical terminology
Purpose and Use of Risk Adjustment Models
  • 15 multiple choice questions
  • Demonstrate the ability to apply trumping in the risk adjustment hierarchy
  • Understand the use of data mining from data captured through risk adjustment coding
  • Understand the use of predictive modeling from data captured through risk adjustment coding
Quality Care
  • 5 multiple choice questions
  • Understand the purpose of HEDIS and alignment with risk adjustment
  • Understand the purpose of STAR ratings and alignment with risk adjustment
Risk Adjustment Models
  • 21 multiple choice questions
  • Demonstrate the ability to apply the ACA risk adjustment model
  • Demonstrate the ability to apply the CDPS risk adjustment model
  • Demonstrate the ability to apply the HCC risk adjustment model
  • Demonstrate the ability to apply the private payers risk adjustment model
  • Understand elements needed to determine the risk adjustment score

Deb McEachern CPC

CPC, CHCCS
Staff member
HCC Moderator
Samsuddin, contact the AAPC to find out if they have any study guides for the CRC exam and if not, what they recommend you use for a study guide to prep for the CRC exam.

Audrey Widner

Hello! I am taking my CRC exam next month. I currently work in HCC coding and I just finished my Risk Adj./HCC Course from AAPC. Has anyone took this exam yet? It seems so new I cant find out from anyone on how the exam went. AAPC currently doesn't offer your typical study guide like they do with other exams. Anything I should know in-depth? Looking for advice :)
Thanks!
Audrey W. CPC, CEMC

Deb McEachern CPC

CPC, CHCCS
Staff member
HCC Moderator
Hi Audrey. There is an HCC FB group that you can join where a lot of coders are studying for and taking the CRC exam. I have not gotten certified through the AAPC, I got HCC certified through another Coding entity. Look for the HCC FB group; if you have troubles finding it let me know and I'll connect you up. Good luck! Several coders just took the CRC exam and can answer your questions fully.

Holly Cassano

CPC CRC ICD 10CM CERTIFIED
Staff member
HCC Moderator
Hi Audrey,

The AAPC will be coming out with a CRC study guide in a few more weeks from what my sources have told me. CCo will also have one - shooting for 3rd quarter.

Audrey Widner

Thank you Holly! I take my CRC exam on the 6th of June, hopefully I will pass if not I will def. be buying the studying guide. As long as the test follows the course I bought I think I will be okay (fingers crossed) and also Thanks Deb I will check that out. :)

RLIEN1968

Hi Holly,

I am interested in the CRC certification. I've been a radiology coder for 25 years, recently obtained CPC to branch out into other opportunities. I have only ever coded radiology procedures, however, I have always been drawn to diagnosis coding more than anything. I'm wondering what a typical day in the life of a CRC coder would be. With only having RCC experience I can only understand rad reports so I'm trying to see if this is truly something I would like to do. I love radiology, but as I mentioned I am at a point where I want to learn new areas of coding.

Thank you!

Renee Lien, RCC, CPC