• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

Burn codes

TheresaR

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
Here's the question:
What CPT and ICD-9-CM codes would be used to code a subsequent encounter
in which a split-thickness skin graft, both thighs to the abdomen, measuring 45 ×
21 cm, is performed on a patient who has third-degree burns of the abdomen?
Documentation stated 20% of the body surface was burned, with 9% third
degree. The patient also sustained second-degree burns of the upper back.
Correct answer: 15100, 15101 × 9, 942.33, 942.24, 948.20

My question: Why are there two 942 codes? I thought we were only supposed to code a 942 code one time, combining the two areas.

Laureen

Queen Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)

TheresaR

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
Thank you for clarifying, Laureen! You're the bestest!!!
I take my CPC exam this Saturday. I've studied like crazy and I'm more than ready to get it behind and enjoy the holidays! When I take the practice exams, I actually miss few and I stay within the allotted time, so I feel I'm prepared for the exam IF test anxiety does not take over!!!!

TheresaR

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
Thank you for the read, Laureen! It's very good! I do believe one could actually apply it to everyday life as well as a big exam!!!
"See" you tonight! ;)

Michele

CPC
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
Thank you for clarifying, Laureen! You're the bestest!!!
I take my CPC exam this Saturday. I've studied like crazy and I'm more than ready to get it behind and enjoy the holidays! When I take the practice exams, I actually miss few and I stay within the allotted time, so I feel I'm prepared for the exam IF test anxiety does not take over!!!!
Good Luck Saturday! Sounds like you have done everything you can to prepare and are going to nail this exam. Looking forward to hearing that you are doing your own version of the CCO "Happy Dance" soon. Happy Coding!

TheresaR

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
Thank you, Michele! I sure sound confident! But honestly I've never been more nervous in my life!!! lol! I have always been a slow reader so I'm still worried about taking toooooooo looooooong on some of the questions. I'm heading to Nebraska to be with both of my sons for Christmas right after the exam, so I'll be doing a Happy Dance no matter what!!! :)

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
Great Article! I wish that I read this before I took my CPC exam first time around, but I was more relaxed and confident the second time around. Positive thoughts helped me pass the second time around.