• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

ICD Copd and emphysema in icd 10

JoJuan

There is some confusion in my office with coding COPD w/emphysema in icd 10. Some coders agree that the correct coding of emphysema with COPD is J43.9 while others argue that when looking up in the index they get J44.9.

The confusion then comes when you look at J43.9 and there is an excludes 1 note stating that emphysema with chronic obstructive bronchitis should be coded to J44-. That is saying to me that if the provider doesn't document specifically chronic obstructive bronchitis then it is ok to pick up J43.9.

The modifiers in the index include the COPD with the J43.9 code Emphysema(chronic)(lung)(obstructive)(pulmonary).

I am siding with the J43.9 based on documentation of just COPD and emphysema if chronic obstructive bronchitis is documented then I would use J44.9. Is my reasoning wrong???

I just want to be sure that everyone is on the same page.

Alicia Scott

Moderator, CCO Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
The first thing to remember is that emphysema is a type of COPD. It starts with a structural change in the anatomy. I believe the best code is J44.9 because J44 is Other COPD. It is specified so J43.9 is not really correct. Here is a great link for you to look at.
file:///C:/Users/Alicia/Downloads/ICD10_COPD.pdf

JoJuan

The first thing to remember is that emphysema is a type of COPD. It starts with a structural change in the anatomy. I believe the best code is J44.9 because J44 is Other COPD. It is specified so J43.9 is not really correct. Here is a great link for you to look at.
file:///C:/Users/Alicia/Downloads/ICD10_COPD.pdf
Hi Alice,
I'm trying to look at the link it won't let me download would you be able to send to my email or post the link again? JLJ1989@gmail.com

Thank you!!!