• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

Do you have a weakness?

Alicia Scott

Moderator, CCO Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Which do you think will be a weakness for you in taking the CPC exam?
Is it time?
Could it be nervousness?
To much on your mind while testing?
Not strong in terminology?
Long cases scare you?
Pressure to pass?
Now take a moment to think this through. What suggestions do you have to help yourself or someone else through these fears?

Sylvia Ann Wiegand

Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
My stomach growling. hehe j/k, well sorta...

I think I am pretty decent for the most part. I took the practice test from that one book, and I think I did so much better than the first time I took it. I saw a tip video Laureen posted for the Blitz, and I think that helped me the most. It's like all the lights turned on, instead of flickering.

I've tried to train myself on not having too much on my mind and only concentrating on the test. Everything will still be there after the test, kinda like the dishes will still be there when you get back. I think I am more excited to take this test than nervous. (hmm, could I code that? :p)

It's like, I've been training for this, now it's time for the real thing.

Sylvia Ann Wiegand

Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Hehe, did you notice my title/signature? ;)

Alicia Scott

Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
I think I am more anxious to see how you do then you are. :rolleyes:

Sylvia Ann Wiegand

Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
You know I will send you a text!

Sylvia Ann Wiegand

Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Oh yes, a suggestion before taking the test, eat brain foods, like fish (I usually eat tuna) and I think someone said blueberries. I would always eat tuna sandwiches before a big test, and usually made A's on my quizzes/tests. :) So I gotta remind myself to eat fish the night before. Maybe it's just an all in your mind thing, I don't know, I know I can use all the help.

Alicia Scott

Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
You made me laugh because I though you said eat BRAN foods. I was going to say NO! Don't do that. Time does not stop when you use the bathroom. o_O Don't forget to bring a stack. About half way through the exam you are going to start loosing focus. That is a long time to sit in one spot. Think about what will bring up your blood sugar but not make it drop again. Of course don't bring something loud like potato chips that crunch and disturbs other testers.

Karen Fan

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
Hi Alicia,

I have all of the above I think. In the practice tests I push myself to answer questions in one minute or less, Nervous I need to pass, I am always pressuring myself to remember the guidelines, terminology may be ok I am always learning, I miss the details in Long Cases due to time constraints, Major pressure to pass the exam in Three Weeks. I have been studying for a very long time. Any Help would be great. Thank You

Karen Fan

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
I ate my usual breakfast which is substantial and contains protein, carbs and some fat. I'm useless if I get too hungry and the protein sustains me longer than just carbs. I also brought a couple of energy bars that I like that have a nice balance of carbs, protein and fats. I brought my own water bottles. I had to drive an hour to get to the test so I allowed plenty of time.

I planned to take one restroom break in the middle of the test time. Only one person was allowed out of the room at one time, but I did not need to wait for anyone to come back. It worked out fine, but I didn't waste any time!

I also loaded up my car with the manuals I needed the night before and had a check list for the things I needed to take.

If you make a conscious effort to plan everything out you will be in much better condition to make it happen.

One amusing thing happened. The test proctor told us we could put our feet up on a chair during the test. No way was I going to do that because that is not my best "test attacking position". This prompted another gal to ask if it was okay to unhook her undergarments, so she would be more comfy. The test proctor had an immediate reaction, "NO, we won't be doing any of that!" So make sure you wear comfortable clothes and dress in layers since you have no control over the AC or heat.

roohi

Hi Ruth, I failed my first try badly, couldn't finish it in time. Anyways this time I bought Blitz videos and practice exam from CCO. I'm done with videos but haven't took the practice exam yet. I have gone through Carol's review book and her online practice exams in which I had problem finishing in time, but it was before blitz videos. How important you think it is to buy AAPC's practice exam too? Do you think only CCO's practice exam is enough? I have board exam in less than 3 weeks. Any advise you can give. I don't know, I still feel unprepared.

Laureen

Queen Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Hi Roohi - pardon me for jumping in - regarding practice exams - if you are taking the CPC I highly recommend the AAPC practice exams and to do the before our 150 practice exam. They are shorter - 50 questions each - so you can do them in 110 minutes check your answers and assess how you could have been quicker etc. Then take that knowledge and apply it to the 2nd one and so on and so forth. The goal is to get over an 85% before you sit for the real exam. Best wishes!

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
I used the CCO practice exam that CCO now sells and it is was very helpful. The CCO practice exam definitely caused my score on the actual exam to be much higher than if I had not taken it. When you take it try to simulate the test environment. I did it one morning when I could be home alone, and I ignored the phone. I timed myself, and only allowed one break for bathroom, and snack (water and energy bar). I had to keep reminding myself to eliminate the wrong choices and decide among the remaining choices quickly without double checking more than necessary. Carefully read, decide the answer, and move on! This is what you need to do during the Board Exam, too.

Take the CCO exam when you have 5:40 that you can be sure you won't be interrupted. See how you do. Based on that, you can decide whether to get the AAPC exams. Those are available online immediately, so it is not like you have to wait days for the mailman to bring them.

Whatever exam or exams you use be sure to schedule time to review the answers and rationale. You can take your sweet time for this, but it is crucial to do. I kept lists of where I went wrong, and would look for patterns.

The AAPC exams are 50 questions each. I did learn a couple things from these tests that I did not learn previously, either because it wasn't it emphasized in my course, or it just escaped my 'radar' somehow. When I saw very similar questions on the exam, it was a great feeling, "yes, I know this!", and I got an immediate moral boost. I think that is best if you decide you still need more practice to get the AAPC exams (however many you can afford). Of course, the best deal is to get all 3 at one time.

For the AAPC practice exam, allow yourself about 110 minutes to do one set of 50 questions. I found it impossible to sit at my computer, juggle the 3 manuals I needed to look up the answers, and still keep my place on the computer screen, deal with the mouse, and the keyboard. Too many brain cycles and time wasted, trying to deal with all the tools I was trying to use!

It became clear to me that to simulate the real test it would be best to print off all 50 questions, sit a table with my 3 manuals, a pre-numbered sheet to write my answers, and time to myself accordingly. When the time was up I entered all 50 answers in one fell swoop on the computer, and submitted the exam. This is more like the real exam because you don't need to go back and forth from exam questions to manuals to computer screen, which eats up more time than just going from printed exam, manuals, to answer sheet, because you are working in the same medium... i.e. , paper at a table.

I did not really get proficient enough at taking the exam, that is, scoring about 85%, until I had taken both the CCO and the AAPC exams, and spent hours and hours reviewing the rationales. I took one of the AAPC exams more than once. I had no experience doing medical coding except in my PBC course. I imagine if you have coding experience you may not need quite so much practice taking the exam, as I did.

I hope you are able to practice well, so the board exam will also go well!

Michele

CPC
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
One suggestion: It takes more time to fill in the space provided on the exam's answer sheet than it does to just write the letter down on your practice answer sheet. Our study group did a 150 question mock and timed how long it took each one of us just to fill in the actual bubble style answer blocks on the sheet at the end to simulate the actual test conditions - the range was an additional 15 - 20 minutes! You might want to factor in that extra time when you do practice exams, because if you don't fill in the answer block completely the computer that scan and scores the answer sheet might not be able to "read" your answer to count it. :eek:
Good luck and happy coding!

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Michele, very interesting information. That's 150 questions at 6 seconds each, or 900 seconds = 15 minutes. And you don't want to lose your place on your answer sheet!