• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

Emergency Care Musings

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Just returned from a local emergency care center after having pain in my right leg when walking the last 24 hours. Yesterday, it came on suddenly and I thought it was a Charley Horse, but when it did not get better, I decided to get it confirmation that it was a muscle strain and nothing more. It should be better in a few days if I give it rest.

First I noticed that the receptionist had a sign where HIPAA was misspelled as HIPPA. Of course, I couldn't let that pass, and told the receptionist they had misspelled HIPAA! He said he had never looked at that sign. Not surprising...

Then the nurse literally asked me "Do you have any medical history?" I said, "what does that mean?" Really, what person my age hasn't been to a doctor for something? Where did she want me to start, at birth? And did she really think that most people would understand the question? So she replied, "You know, do you have diabetes, or anything like that?" Good grief, this is how they get their H of the HEM???

Then the doctor saw me, and started to tell me how overworked she was. I can believe it! Apparently she was the only physician on duty all day long in this busy business and had worked 12 hours. She also told me she feels like ghosts tell her the diagnosis. Apparently her "ghosts" agreed with my "ghosts" and I just have a sprained muscle.

Boy, am I glad it wasn't anything more serious, and her ghosts are not as overworked as she is! It's a tough job working as an Emergency Doctor in my town. I hope that doctor gets some rest!

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
Ruth, what an interesting trip to the emergency center! We did not noticed anything in a medical facility until we became coders. Now we see everything in a medical facility, even when we go in as a patient. Hope your leg gets better and glad it is nothing more than a sprained muscle.

Luna

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Enjoyed reading about your experience.

Kind of reminds of when I was in ER a few years back for extreme inflammation and paralysis (a misdiagnosed reaction to PCN). After answering the question about past surgeries, they asked me a rather general question, and like you, I didn't know what they really wanted. "Is there anything else bothering you today?" o_O

Later, when the doctor wanted me to get up and walk, he noticed a scar on my knee.

"What's this?" he asks.
"A scar." I answered.
"Well, I know that, but what from?"
"When I was younger, I had psoriasis there really bad. I still get a small patch there occasionally. In fact, after the PCN injection a few weeks ago it went away."
"Why didn't you tell me?"
"I didn't know I was supposed to."
"I asked what else was bothering you."
"It wasn't bothering me. I was glad it went away."

Turns out my past history of psoriasis was very pertinent to what was part of my current medical event, even though it wasn't "bothering" me.

I've had plenty of opportunities to notice things in the medical field long before I started my coding course. But coding has me noticing that much more. Sometimes, I'd really like to request my records, and code them myself just for fun.

Glad to hear the news about your leg was nothing more than 844.9
453.40 would worry me.

Alicia Scott

Moderator, CCO Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Ruth, that is just scary. Isn't it interesting how once you know the proper way of doing something makes you hyper aware of others. Sounds like some major education is needed all around.

Even for patients....Luna ;)