• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

Q&A FBC course

LyndaH

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
In your E book under Types of Medical Coding Credentials the CPC-H is listed as an apprentice. If you have a CPC already will you still be considered an apprentice once you get the CPC-H if you haven't had hospital experience? This was somewhat confusing to me.

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
You can take the exam and get certified, but you are still considered an apprentice if you have not had 2 years of on the job coding (verified by your employer), OR 1 year on the job coding with proof of completion of at least 80 hours of coding education.

A CPC-H apprentice is abbreviated CPC-H-A. for example.

This is explained on the AAPC website here: http://www.aapc.com/certification/apprentice_status.aspx

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
If you have a CPC and pass the CPC-H you are not considered an apprentice.

LyndaH

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Ok, Yes I have my CPC, I thought this was the case, however, I started to question it..thank you

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
If you have a CPC-A and you take the CPC-H exam and pass, will you be a CPC-H-A or CPC-H? Thanks!

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
You will be a CPC-H-A. When you have your requirement of the on the job medical coding fulfilled all the A's go away at the same time.