• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

Feeling the blues

AliciaL1

Blitzer
CCO Practicoder
So just discovered the CPC Exam fee went up, now $325 for members. It's only $260 for the AAPC students. Which means I still have to save a little more money before I can register. I'm hoping when I do finally register the date I had in mind doesn't magically disappear and I'll have to choose a later date.

I'm really starting to consider looking for a coding position before I take the exam, but it's hard not to feel discouraged when everything I see is credential preferred. Please tell me there's hope. My kids are going back to school soon, and I'm trying to decide if I should try my luck at starting my job search.

Also, I'm wondering if soon companies will look at the new CRC credential as sufficient enough to get a risk adjustment position without having the CPC credential? I really would like to just go for the CRC only if it would be possible to get into HCC coding. These exams are so expensive. If CPT is not used for HCC, why would the CPC be required in this type of specialty.... Just curious.

Sorry for rambling, just feeling the blues.

Laureen

Queen Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Hi Alicia,

Sorry you're feeling blue :( The exam has been that price for sometime so you didn't just miss something. Not much solace when you're saving for it. Did you take a full course with a school etc. that has a relationship with the AAPC - if so you should be able to get a discount code to get the $260 price.

Yes you can start the job search but it is challenging without some credential. You never know though! Be thoughtful on your cover letters. See this free eBook - Get Your First Job in Medical Coding for tips https://www.cco.us/get-first-job-medical-coding/

AliciaL1

Blitzer
CCO Practicoder
Thank you, Luareen for your thoughful response. I'll keep my head up. I'm still studying, and of course, I will continue. I will put my resume up on some of the job search websites. Like you said, you never know :)

RobertaP

Extraordinary multiple hat lady
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM BLITZ
$162 for testing this month on AAPC site!