• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

Greetings!

mrd362

Yes, I am really a penguin who codes.
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
ICD-10-CM Student
CCO Practicoder
Hello. I am new to CCO, and decide to join the forums. I am just starting my college classes for HIT, which first I chose medical coding to possible get my CPC-A in early next year if I do well in my classes. A little about myself. I am 23, bouncing from job to job (McDonald, burger king, target, Walmart, etc) with no solid goal for a career. I then landed a job at a local hospital working full time in the operating room dealing with supplies. I love it. I decide to go back to school because they offer tuition reimbursement, and decide to go into the health care field

I just have a few questions about coding.

1. Why does it say to never code from the index, but when I answer questions in my text book, and some question on the practice exam on CCO I get them right?

2. On the CPC exam, is it possible to get extra time? I have a disability and during college I have a special modification to allow me to get extra time. I know that coding need to be done in a time limit, but on test I usually take the text fast because I usually don't finish when I take my time. I just don't wan't to run out of time or fail the CPC exam and have to pay it to take it a 3rd time.

Mike

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
It's great to have you join us here at CCO. Here's my response to your questions...

1) The thing about coding is that on the job you strive to be 100% accurate. Using only the index does not get you 100% accurate results so you can not just rely on the index. Lots of times, even if the code is correct, there are further instructions in the Tabular that you must follow. Other times, when you check out the Tabular (because you were pointed to it from the index) you realize that you need to append an extra digit or more to the code to have it accurately "tell the story" of the medical chart / scenario that you are trying to code.

We say never code from the Index -- sure, you may get away with getting some correct answers on an exam -- but the idea is to practice what you need to do in the real coding world and learn to be competent and accurate coder!

2) The only way to get a reliable answer to this question is to contact the owner of the CPC exam, namely, AAPC. Their contact information can be found here: https://www.aapc.com/ContactUs.aspx

Laureen

Queen Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Welcome to the CCO community mrd362! Best wishes.

mrd362

Yes, I am really a penguin who codes.
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
ICD-10-CM Student
CCO Practicoder
Thanks! I'm taking classes, and schedule to take my CPC exam in december. Should I get practice with praticode or with the blitz video?

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Great question, mrd362!

I think the Blitz video should be done as a review for your coding course so you get your books marked up with the critical notes and learn some rules that you might have missed the first time around. It will make coding easier for the exam, on the job, and for Practicode. So it's PBC course, Blitz, and then Practicode to give you the building blocks you need, in the order that you need them!

Laureen

Queen Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)