• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

HCC coding-seasonal work?

GinaB

Hi,

I am considering taking the exam for HCC certification, but would like to know if most of the jobs are only seasonal jobs or are there full time HCC coding jobs available? What companies do hire full time HCC coders and not just only for seasonal work?

Thank you for any information anyone can give regarding HCC coding.

Alicia Scott

Moderator, CCO Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Gina,
You are correct a lot of the MA plan work is seasonal. When I was first hired I was told I would be laid off most likely around November and December then brought back in January. This never happened in fact we were given over time and allowed to work as many hours as we wanted at time and a half.
Saying that it really depends on who you are working for. There are 3 pulls a year for MA plans. However, there are so many other positions out there for Risk Adjustment work. Now that we have HHS-HCCs as well as CMS-HCCs to capture that amped up the need.
A few things to keep in mind, the CRC is a new credential and will need time to pick up traction in the health arena. Like all new credentials it is a matter of keeping the market informed. What is different is there is a need for risk adjustment coders therefore in my opinion the CRC is more well known then other new credentials vs say billing. You do not need the CRC to do risk adjustment work. The key is having it makes you the subject matter expert and top of the pack so to speak. It puts you in line for being the leader of a team. This credential not only covers HCCs but all the behind the scenes of risk adjustment that most "HCC coders" know nothing about. A CRC understands the "why" of what is being done.
In close, and not trying to biased as a lover of HCC work and Dx coding, this is an amazing credential and has more long term potential after the CPC then the others. This is a HOT market right now and physicians and facilities are looking for leaders to help them cope with the changes being made. GET IN NOW!

Best of luck on the CRC.

Paul A

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
CCO Practicoder
HCC Student
ICD-10-CM BLITZ
PPM Physicians Practice Management
I just answered in the AAPC forums but since I don't know which post you will see the reply to first. Larger Medicare Advantage payers are more likely to keep staffing levels year round. From what I heard a lot of the third party HCC companies cannot guarantee hours so you go more part time when the rush to submit RAPS data is further away.

I did want to add that the payer I work for, I've been talking with some of the risk adjustment folks that i somehow magically ran into when i was trying to find a quiet place to study for the CPC. They are aware of the CRC but aren't really focused on that credential. Currently they seem to be pushing for the Risk adjustment employees to get their CPC Certification. I'm actually surprised on how few people hold any certification.

Last edited:

Alicia Scott

Moderator, CCO Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
It is true that some companies can't work you full time year round. Shoot for places like Optum who can move you into another area if they like you.

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
Do you have the website for Optum? I was submitted for a job opportunity by a staffing agency recruiter, but he is slow in updating me of any changes of a job opportunity and I had to wait weeks or maybe days before I hear anything more from the staffing agency recruiter. I thought that if I could apply directly to Optum for a job opportunity, that might show them that I am inerested enough for them to consider hiring me for a position.

I am currently a Registered Nurse with the CPC certification and audit HCC for a Healthcare system. Is there any other credential I should get to help me be more marketable regarding HCC in the future? I am aware of what is coming in the future regarding MACRA/MIPS,so I would like to be ready and hopefully acquire something remote.

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
Update on the Optum HCC work: I finally heard back from my agency recruiter regarding the HCC coding opportunity and it is not good news. I did not get the job because the June class has filled up, but they are going to try to submit me for the August class at Optum. Optum was hiring right off the resumes for the contract position. Is there a link so I can submit my resume to Optum directly? I want to show them that I am intereseted in working for them.

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
Got another call from the agency regarding the Optum contract position and nothing. The August class got filled up and now they have submitted me for the September class. I really do not need the position now as I went with another agency and they got me working starting Wednesday, August 10, 2016 doing medical billing. I don't know how long this position will last, but I was told it is a temp-to-hire position by the other agency.