• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

HCC Coding worth it?

Ajacks

CCO Club Member
Hi!

So I need some advice!!! I have my CPC and recently sat for my CMBS through MAB and am now confused on the next route to take. I have heard quite a bit about this HCC coding and I do see that there are work-at-home opportunities for those that have this experience. I am not sure if I should go for this or not being a fairly inexperienced coder. I also was thinking of getting my AHIMA cert (RHIT or CCS) and also taking Practicode but I need help with which would be the better choice right now. Money is tight and I am looking for the best money making route to take/Also job wise.

Thx!

Alicia Scott

Moderator, CCO Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
One of the great advantages in getting into Risk Adjustment work right now is that most places are willing to train a new coder. They give you an exam which has only dx codes. If you can pass that then they want to give you a try. This has never really been done before. I would look into this avenue because you want to get into the field now while they are willing to train.

Ajacks

CCO Club Member
Thanks Alicia! I guess my main thing is just not spending the money on something and then not being able to find a job fairly quickly. I am interested in working out of my home b/c eventually I want to move out of state and would love for my job to just travel with me and not have to look for another. So if I signed up for the course through CCO then that would prepare me for AAPC's CRC exam? How long do you think if I work full-time I could get through the program through CCO? Thx!

Alicia Scott

Moderator, CCO Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
There are 16 chapters in the RA/HCC course right now. They move very quickly. Most of the students who have taken the course go back and revisit the chapter exams before the take the CRC. With your experience I feel you can get through pretty fast. Everything is on-line so you don't need to wait for a book. Also, it is in ICD-9 right now d/t the CRC being in ICD-9 until Jan. 1st. This month is a very exciting time for the course. Big news coming!

Ajacks

CCO Club Member
Exciting news, huh? Hmm, I can't wait to find out what it is. It does sound like an interesting course to take. I do see work-at-home jobs sometime without that much experience. I am really wanting to sign up. Are there any cheaper payment options for this course? I'm no a very low earning job right now/got laid off from the coding job I had. Thx!

Alicia,
Besides Optum, do you know of any other companies that are willing to hire to Cert. CRC coders? I just started the HCC course 8/8/16. So I hope to be done in a month and a half or so. I already looked on Optums job board and they didn't have any jobs for HCC coders. So I am on AHIMA, Monster, and Indeed and I have been in contact with some recruiters, but no luck yet.