• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

Q&A HELP PLEASE!!

I am extremely confused regarding re-evaluation in therapy/rehab patients. I read in places that re-evaluations can only be charged/coded (using modifier 59) if the status/plan of care has significantly changed; however in other places I read that a re-evaluation is required every 30 days by CMS??? Does this mean that CMS requires the re-evaluation but it cannot be charged for unless there has been a significant change. Please help me understand this and if possible provide concrete documentation. I am working together with our Rehab facility to try to understand when we can bill for these re-evaluations and, of course, need to be able to back up with guidelines.

As always, THANKS For your help!

LOOKING FORWARD TO THE WEBINAR THURSDAY :)

Kim

Thanks for your consideration, but after much research I have arrived at the conclusion that the 30-day reassessments are required as standard of care and are not billable; only when patient status changes to the point of requiring a new plan of care (requiring signature of attending md) is the reevaluation billable. Thanks again!

Kim

Laureen

Queen Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Great sleuthing - thanks for coming back to share!!!