• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

Homeschooling

Laureen

Queen Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
I've gotten so many nice comments about my homeschooling my kids that I thought I'd start a thread here on the water cooler for those that reached out to me to say they do to or were thinking of it and wanted to know more.

Here's my blurb from the February 2015 CCO Insider Newsletter that prompted some nice comments:

In my personal world, my four munchkins and my husband and I have settled into home-schooling just fine. Making a plan, setting guidelines, and following a custom curriculum has helped us fall into a routine (well most of the time). Working with them directly on their education makes me appreciate how learning needs to be fun and how using modern technology needs to be used wisely. That parallels what we try to do with our CCO educational products and webinars - keep it fun and light and leverage technology.

Jennylee20c

Thanks for starting this thread! Much of the reason I became certified was so I could work from home, and be able to A) Homeschool or B) Do a variation of homeschool and small group activities. And after I started coding I learned I really enjoyed it, so it was a win-win. I have 2 sons (4yo and 2yo), and I am almost 4 months pregnant with my third child (don't know the sex yet). I am trying to get established as a coder, get the CIC certification, and I am in online school to get the RHIT degree.
What I'd like to know, from you awesome homeschooling, coding parents is "What do you do? How do you do it?"
Thanks in advance!

Alicia Scott

Moderator, CCO Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
We have homeschooled our children off and on for quite a while. Right now we are homeschool the four youngest ages 15-8. Our two oldest 27 and 21 were homeschooled through high school. Before I would advise anyone to do it they need to do a lot of research. It is not for everyone but it is also not as hard as some people think. You can turn anything into a lesson. It is also important to have both parents involved. The hardest thing for us is to let time get away from us. One of the perks is your children are your students 24 hours a day. Last I would say it helps you find out what your child's passion is and you can work lessons around that.

Take the good with the bad and be creative. You will never be perfect so give yourself a break and enjoy it.

Pam Barosh

CCA
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
ICD-9 Student
I am a student in the PBC program and I have been homeschooling my oldest daughter from age 6 and she is now 16! Also have a 4 year old and she has been reading since she was 3, I cannot keep up with her. I have tried pretty much every curriculum out there, so if anybody needs any homeschooling advice let me know. When we first started down the homeschooling path I had to give up on the idea of working a traditional job. I took courses in medical transcription and medical coding, but ended up finding job opportunities working from home in medical transcription. Now that the medical transcription world has changed, I am relearning medical coding so that I can still have the opportunity to work from home. Currently I am working in a hospital in the HIM department doing medical record analysis and auditing and I am really lucky that the job pays well and has really flexible hours, perfect for a mom and especially a homeschooling mom. My 16 year old is a night owl so she likes to work on her homework later in the afternoon, evening, and even at odd hours of the night!