• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

I Know an Old Lady

Luna

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Talk about a close call!!

You know how there are a few things that terrified you in childhood, that looking back years later, seem so silly. Like "I know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly"? And every line ends with, "perhaps she'll die!" To go along with it were many books illustrating the fly entering the old ladies mouth….OMG! When you could see how easy that would be!!! (That story near convinced me to never open my mouth again. And I'm sure there have not been too few who wished it had stayed that way. LOL)

In my little girl wisdom, it did kind of make sense that she'd choose to swallow a spider to catch the fly. But then she needed something to take care of the spider that "wiggled and jiggled and tickled inside her". And so she swallowed a bird. And anyone could see she'd need a cat! And then a dog! Enough already! Enough. Enough. Enough. But on it went, and the Old Lady died.

I was laid up for a few weeks and didn't get to take my trail walks. Just the other day was the first I got out. My dog, Toby, had me in tow by a leash, as we wandered down the path. I was marveling at how well he knows the trail and how fast the vegetation returns when nothing's been out there stomping on it. I looked up just in time to face plant a giant spider web with spider!!!

FREAKY!! I had my momentum and so as the web stretched across my face I could hear the strands stretching and tearing in my ears. What a terrible sound. I went to scream and had a mouth full of spider! Yack! Yack! Ptewy! I dislodged the spider and wiped my face clean, screaming and dancing in a circle about my very confused dog.

And it all came back to me…that haunting childhood memory…"There was an Old Lady who swallowed a spider, that wiggled and jiggled and tickled insider her. She swallowed the spider to catch the fly. I don't know why she swallowed that fly….

PS. My mouth ain't closed. But, I'm not about to swallow a bird. ;)

Rosetta D

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
ICD-10-CM Student
:)
My 9 year old daughter summer read is Charlotte's Web we are 1/2 way through with the book---and just watched the movie last night---makes you look at spider's in a whole new light----I actually got teary eyed--
If I had an encounter like you---I would have definitely reacted the same !!! :)

Luna

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
:)
My 9 year old daughter summer read is Charlotte's Web we are 1/2 way through with the book---and just watched the movie last night---makes you look at spider's in a whole new light----I actually got teary eyed--
If I had an encounter like you---I would have definitely reacted the same !!! :)

Oh so true. Charlotte's Web is a touching and timeless classic.