• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

ICD 10 Question

elenipete

COC-A
Blitzer
CCO Practicoder
Being a newbie in an orthopedic practice, I have a question for anyone who may want to answer it.

We often bill for injections. So How will I code a bilateral injection if the diagnosis does not have a bilateral ICD-10 code? would you still use 20610-50 with the 2 diagnosis codes (for left and right) or to save space, can you use the unspecified code?

Billing manager seems to think it redundant to use the modifier 50 and the 2 distinct codes. She wants to use the unspecified diagnosis code.

I was thinking the 50 is for the 2 units of the injection "and why do we need 2 injections?' because....... hence the 2 distinct codes.....

any help is always greatly appreciated!

Alicia Scott

Moderator, CCO Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
I agree with you but am not an expert with CPT codes. When you have two seperate Dx codes then I think the -50 makes sense. Is there not a bilateral code for this? I am not near my CPT manual. Just moved you know. :)

elenipete

COC-A
Blitzer
CCO Practicoder
I agree with you but am not an expert with CPT codes. When you have two seperate Dx codes then I think the -50 makes sense. Is there not a bilateral code for this? I am not near my CPT manual. Just moved you know. :)
I wasn't speaking of any dx code in general, but for example, we often give injections for pain, and the dx is sometimes 923.00 contusion of the shoulder. In ICD-10 there is no bi-lateral code for contusion of shoulder just unspecified, left and right. So I was just wondering how this would work. Are we still going to have to attach LT or RT to the CPT code?

Alicia Scott

Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)

elenipete

COC-A
Blitzer
CCO Practicoder
Hi!
Thanks!
But here is another question, the ICD 10 is so much more specific, we will still have to use LT or RT to the CPT code if the diagnosis states the side?

Alicia Scott

Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Yes that is true because they are two different code sets and have a different purpose. One does not speak for the other only gives the other value I guess you could say.

elenipete

COC-A
Blitzer
CCO Practicoder
Yes that is true because they are two different code sets and have a different purpose. One does not speak for the other only gives the other value I guess you could say.
Exactly!!!!!! Thank you Alicia!!! I just won the office bet!!!!

Alicia Scott

Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
I hope they rewarded you with chocolate. That is what I would want. Invite them to the Q&A webinar Thursday. Then they can be as smart as you!
CCO Q&A Webinar - http://cco.pe/RE8m09