• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

ICD-9 versus ICD-10

Darrell Lasane

Which program is better for a beginning learner to start with? Will jobs accept ICD-10 education for positions requiring ICD-9?

Alicia Scott

Moderator, CCO Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
ICD-10 does not go into effect until Oct. 2014. If you want to learn I would learn ICD-9 now and then refresh in ICD-10. The coding concepts really don't change. You look up the codes the same way and guidelines will be the same or similar. Why wait? Jump in now and get trained before everyone has to learn something new. Remember if you know ICD-9 then ICD-10 is not going to be any trouble for you.

R

Ruth Sheets

Alicia, Does everyone switch using to ICD-10 on the exact same day? Or is there a transition period when a facility may use ICD-10 but then in Oct. 2014 everyone must use it?

Alicia Scott

Moderator, CCO Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
There will be no transition time allowed. October 1st is the day. Everything switches no exceptions. :eek: For well trained coders I don't see this to be a problem. I am sure there will be a lot of people who want to panic but there is no reason to do so. Planning ahead is key. Doctors and facilities will most likely have funds set aside for the learning curve.

Linda Charlwood

PASSED CCS/Got the job!/wrk frm hme/PUP all day!
Blitzer
We are already beginning teh preparation at the hospital I work for. I think the worst part will not really be the actual coding but the software issues that come along with a major change.