• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

Medical Coding vs Medical Billing

When I first started taking classes at the local community college I was supposed to be taking medical billing classes then they changed it to medical coding. I'm wondering if it is feasible to try to take my CPC and get into medical billing. Are there remote jobs? What is the pay difference? How to go about it?

Laureen

Queen Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Hi Tamara,

Medical billing and coding are definitely related but very different. This is the order I recommend people learn things that are new to this industry and are interested in both. What you are interested in to specialize in seems to fall into place naturally as you progress on this journey.

1. Medical Terminology & Anatomy
  2. Medical Coding Education leading to CPC certification (Certified Professional Coder)
  3. Medical Billing Education leading to CPB Certification (Certified Professional Biller)
We have courses for all three - here are the links for your convenience:

MTA - Medical Terminology & Anatomy Course Info Page (40 CEUs) - http://cco.pe/RE7fO4

PBC - Physician Based Coding Course Info Page - http://cco.pe/1k0Ep5c

PBB - Physician Based Billing Course (18.5 CEUs) - http://cco.pe/RE8U6e

Do you teach hospital billing? I've been coding for hospitals for the past 2 1/2 years, I would have thought that billing was a step down actually. I'm trying to find something that is not so stressful, I have fibromyalgia and I'm finding stress really wreaks havoc on it sometimes.

Laureen

Queen Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
We have courses that will help pursue inpatient coding but we don't have an official single course for inpatient.

We are working on an inpatient track to satisfy CIC and CCS credential seekers. To get our our early notification list sign up here

INPATIENT Course is here!
This is what we have worked out for an inpatient track:

1. Medical Terminology & Anatomy
    1. Our MTA course covers that with the added benefit of linking it in with ICD-10 coding concepts
    2. BONUS: The new version of the textbook we use also has pharmacology info (neede dor CCS exam)
  2. CPT Coding Skills [not needed for CIC credential only for CCS credential]
    1. Our PBC coding course meets that in spades
  3. ICD Diagnostic Coding Skills
    1. for ICD-9 that is covered partly in the PBC course
    2. for ICD-10 that is covered thoroughly in our ICD-10-CM Full Course
  4. ICD Procedural Coding Skills
    1. for ICD-9 we don't have anything and don't plan on developing it due to move to ICD-10
    2. for ICD-10 we have our ICD-10-PCS Course
  5. Inpatient Coding and Reimbursement Concepts - This is the one we are developing that will include topics like
    1. Medical Record and Healthcare Documentation Guidelines
    2. Inpatient Coding Concepts
    3. Inpatient Payment Methodologies
    4. Outpatient Payment Methodology
    5. Regulatory and Payer Requirements

Laureen

Queen Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Billing isn't a step down per se (IMHO) - a side-step perhaps. Pay wise I do agree that coders then to be paid more but it varies by region.

I'm sorry I meant if I take a billing course will I be able to bill for hospitals or is it strictly physician offices? I have coded IP and OP but just wanting to maybe take a step down as far as a stressful job.

Laureen

Queen Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
The textbook we use has a chapter for Inpatient hospital billing - know the other chapters is needed too but this is an additional layer you'd need.