• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

Q&A MOHS question from another student

RobertaP

Extraordinary multiple hat lady
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM BLITZ
I am passing along a question from another student, I blocked her name out, of cco. It reads as follows:

My name is s<///<, and I got your email from one of the thursday night calls with alicia. I need help with mohs.
On the mohs I am confused on when you would use the 17314 x 2 vs the 17314 with the 17315. I just feel like I am missing something here.

Paul A

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
CCO Practicoder
HCC Student
ICD-10-CM BLITZ
PPM Physicians Practice Management
This link may help http://news.aapc.com/mohs-micrographic-surgery-for-clear-coding/

17313 is the first stage (includes up to 5 tissue blocks examined)
17314 is each additional stage (includes up to 5 tissue blocks examined)
17315 is additional tissue blocks examined within a stage (bill 1 unit for each block over 5 within a stage

(there is also 17311 & 17312. 17315 can be used with these 2 codes as well)

The Carcinoma is like a pizza. It comes in many sizes and the bigger the size the more pieces you need to eat to finish it
A Stage is like grabbing a slice of pizza. It may take more than once slice (stage) to finish the pizza depending on the size.
A Block is how many bites it takes to eat a slice (for ever bite over 5 you report a unit of 17315)
If there is still pizza left after the first slice you grab more slices until the pizza is gone.

17314 x 2 means you cut the pizza into 3 slices to finish it off and took 5 or less bites to finish a piece (17313 + 17314 + 17314)

17314 + 17315 means you finished the pizza after cutting it into 2 slices. You ate 1 slice in 5 or less bites and one slice took 6 bites 17313 + 17314 + 17315)

Last edited:

RobertaP

Extraordinary multiple hat lady
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM BLITZ
Thank you. I passed it along and the analogy helped me too. I am just grateful pizza is not for dinner :) Thank you again!!