• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

private forums

TheresaR

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
I bought the Blitz package (dvds and online version) and I tried to get into the private forum here and couldn't. I sent an email to where I was supposed to several days ago and have not heard back. I'm I doing something wrong? Once again, very new at all this, so I'm not sure!

Alicia Scott

Moderator, CCO Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
I will get you in there today Theresa. Sorry you didn't have access before.

Alicia Scott

Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
You are in Theresa. Let me know if you have any other issues. ;)

TheresaR

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
Just checked it and, yes, I am in! Thank you very much! I am very impressed (and very excited) with such quick responses I receive from you!!! Thank you so much for that!!! Wish everyone in the world outside of coding would be like you!!! Wouldn't that be nice!

Alicia Scott

Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
It helps to be sitting in front of a computer all day. I wish we could be even faster. Oh it helps also when you love what you are doing......;)

TheresaR

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
Wow, you must be sitting right in front of the computer! That was quick! I am sitting in front of my computer because I'm watching my new Blitz videos!!!:)

I do have a new question for you that, in a round about way, relates to the exam...
The course I enrolled in gave us ICD-9-CM books that are from Practice Management Information Corp (PMIC). When our new instructor took over mid-course, (don't recall if I explained that situation or not) she mentioned that she thought the ICD-9-CM manual by the same publisher as the CPT manual may serve me better. I've gotten pretty good at thumbing through the one I have pretty quickly, however, if ultimately it will not serve me well during the exam, I would make the switch (anything to pass that exam!) to the other publishers version, even though I'd hate to spend the money. In 2013 I will for sure be ordering the set through AAPC that all goes together! Love to hear your thoughts on this!

TheresaR

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
hmmmm, ok, maybe you're not allowed to say whether a book is good or bad. Not sure what the rules are on what's allowed to be discussed here and what's not. It's ok if you can't answer my question. I do plan to buy the version of the ICD-9 book that the AAPC sells on their website for 2013. I'm feeling a little down in the dumps tonight about passing the exam this year anyway. I haven't heard of one person passing the exam on the first try so I don't know why I think I can! lol!!! I'm just going to look at it as a practice run!

Sylvia Ann Wiegand

Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
You can still be one of the first to pass the exam. My friend who also took it with me, we were talking about how they just gave us the hardest test this time and that next time we will get the easier test. ;) One student passed her first try from our school. There is always hope!!! :)

TheresaR

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
Sylvia-how long was your school? Was medical terminology and/or anatomy a prerequisite? My situation might be (hopefully) a unique situation. My course was only a 12-week course (80 hours). But the first six weeks was spent on terminology! We could have learned that on our own and spent the whole 12 weeks learning coding, which is what we would have all preferred. On top of that, our teacher was letting us out of class way earlier than we were supposed. And when we were in class, she basically read us PowerPoint slides during class. When there was only a few weeks left in the course, we had been shorted half of our 80 hours. They fired her, and got someone to try to catch us up (all two of us! everyone else quit). The replacement was a Godsend but it was a matter of too little too late. So now I feel like I'm trying to teach myself everything I missed in my course. I'm wondering if I should even try to think I can pass the exam on December 1! Your thoughts?

Sylvia Ann Wiegand

Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Sylvia-how long was your school? Was medical terminology and/or anatomy a prerequisite? My situation might be (hopefully) a unique situation. My course was only a 12-week course (80 hours). But the first six weeks was spent on terminology! We could have learned that on our own and spent the whole 12 weeks learning coding, which is what we would have all preferred. On top of that, our teacher was letting us out of class way earlier than we were supposed. And when we were in class, she basically read us PowerPoint slides during class. When there was only a few weeks left in the course, we had been shorted half of our 80 hours. They fired her, and got someone to try to catch us up (all two of us! everyone else quit). The replacement was a Godsend but it was a matter of too little too late. So now I feel like I'm trying to teach myself everything I missed in my course. I'm wondering if I should even try to think I can pass the exam on December 1! Your thoughts?
Yes, had to take Medical Terminology and Anatomy & Physiology in my course study. I did well in these classes, and there were also lots of extra credit, which helped with my grades. I went to a career college which is just under a year, I took each course 15 weeks, tho A&P was more like 2 classes (I forget the hours). The way my credits fell, I took these 2 classes my 1st semester, then was introduced to coding my 2nd semester 15wks = 1 semester, and went on to advanced coding my 3rd(last) semester. My instructor was really great, she made learning fun, at least for me, I was like a sponge, even when some water still dripped, she still told me over and over, as needed. :oops: I don't think that anyone knows everything, well -except for Alicia:p, but as we use it more, we learn it better and it stays, has been my experience.

Have you taken any practice tests, I really recommend those, my instructor gave me a few, with each one, we went over the ones I missed. Don't be discouraged, only you know if you are ready for your test. If you don't pass the first time, we still get a 2nd try. At least now, I have a taste for what the test questions are like, and know what to better look for my next test time.

Keep up with your studies, but don't forget to take a break for yourself as well. I will be reviewing over all my materials again, to better prepare for my next try. I just don't give up easily, as you have seen, I'm a planner, and plan to get that CPC title!!

TheresaR

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
Thank you for your reply, Sylvia! Really feeling totally unprepared now though. I didn't have half the amount of schooling that you did. My husband works with a lady who's daughter completed a 14-month associate degree program in medical b/c at a community college here and took the exam and didn't pass it! Ugh! I just really need to start looking for a job soon and I think I'd have such an advantage if I were certified. Often times, people do get jobs because of who they know, sad but true, and I'm new to this area and don't know a soul! Also, with it being the end of the year, I'll have to start all over with 2013 books and start marking them up all over again and try to figure out what changes were made. Double ugh! lol!!! When are you going to retake the exam?

Sylvia Ann Wiegand

Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Thank you for your reply, Sylvia! Really feeling totally unprepared now though. I didn't have half the amount of schooling that you did. My husband works with a lady who's daughter completed a 14-month associate degree program in medical b/c at a community college here and took the exam and didn't pass it! Ugh! I just really need to start looking for a job soon and I think I'd have such an advantage if I were certified. Often times, people do get jobs because of who they know, sad but true, and I'm new to this area and don't know a soul! Also, with it being the end of the year, I'll have to start all over with 2013 books and start marking them up all over again and try to figure out what changes were made. Double ugh! lol!!! When are you going to retake the exam?
I'm not sure when I plan to retest yet, but I know how you feel about the being certified part.

If no positions open, you should try volunteering! I have been volunteering for 3 weeks and they are talking of making it a full time position.

TheresaR

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
Another question for you, Sylvia-where would you say one should put the most emphasis at with regard to studying for the exam? any one area or two specifically? Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions! I greatly appreciate it!

Sylvia Ann Wiegand

Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
that's great! what are you volunteering with?
Volunteering with MHMR. I had forgotten about them, I was thinking well, 2 hospitals, here in town, and then there were a few other places, but had forgotten about MHMR. They are more for the medical billing background than coding.

Another question for you, Sylvia-where would you say one should put the most emphasis at with regard to studying for the exam? any one area or two specifically? Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions! I greatly appreciate it!
For me, I studied more on my weakness areas, like cardio and pathology, are more my weakness. I would say where ever your weakness may be. You will need to know how to work all the areas for the exam, as there are questions from each section.

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
Will hospitals let a certified coder volunteer in their medical records department shadowing an experience coder? How do you go about doing that? By talking to the hospital volunteer director? Thanks!

Michele

CPC
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
hmmmm, ok, maybe you're not allowed to say whether a book is good or bad. Not sure what the rules are on what's allowed to be discussed here and what's not. It's ok if you can't answer my question. I do plan to buy the version of the ICD-9 book that the AAPC sells on their website for 2013. I'm feeling a little down in the dumps tonight about passing the exam this year anyway. I haven't heard of one person passing the exam on the first try so I don't know why I think I can! lol!!! I'm just going to look at it as a practice run!
Hi Theresa,

I can relate to how you feel, you are describing me. I am writing to share with you that if you apply yourself, and really study the information Laureen goes over - you will be prepared to take your boards and pass the first time!

I started this journey mid-August of this year, immersing myself completely (when I wasn't at work) until I took my exam November 17th. My job requires some travel, that meant my books and computer went everywhere I did. On some of my flights there wasn't enough room on the tray table for a book, so I would pop a Blitz disk in my laptop! When I reached my hotel I set up a study area as soon as I got in to my room. When I returned from a trip I still didn't go anywhere without one of my books (usually CPT). I made it a point to even get to my personal appointments (Doctor, Dentist, haircut etc.) early so I didn't arrive stressed, and used the time while I was waiting to reread the section (Anesthesia, E/M, Surgery etc.) Guidelines. Most mornings I would wake up at 5am and study for at least an hour before I got ready for work (we start at 7am). For three months every day began and ended with my nose in one of the three books. Was that crazy? Yes. Was it worth it? Yes. Did I pass the first time? Yes!

I'm not suggesting that you cut yourself off from everything like I did, I just want to pass this along: if you keep your eye on the prize and apply the tools Laureen has given you the result will outweigh any short term sacrifices you made to get there! Good luck and please keep looking forward - you can do it!

TheresaR

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
Hi Michele!
Thank you so much for such an uplifting note to me! You really made my day. I have been doing what you did. I even stayed home alone this whole Thanksgiving holiday weekend to study. Small sacrifice if it means passing the exam! I am taking my exam December 22. My husband thinks I've gone way overboard and am completely obsessing by studying so much but I don't think he realizes what's involved in passing this exam. And while I am studying and it seems to be going well, I'll stumble upon something else I had missed previously so I start feeling overwhelmed about not catching every bit that I should be studying. I feel like there will never be enough time to study!
I took the practice exam in Carol Buck's CPC Coding Exam Review book yesterday. Unfortunately, I lost track of time and didn't write down when I started but I know I sat there for way more than 5 hours and 40 minutes! I don't know how I did yet (need to get that info online), but I feel like I should have done alright. I seemed to understand the questions for the most part without feeling totally lost. I just need to figure out how to cut my time down and I may feel like I could actually pass the exam on the 22nd.
Congratulations to you for passing the exam! What a great early Christmas gift!!!

Michele

CPC
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
Hi Theresa,
Time is key - retake the mock, keep track of when you begin, then try to get your time down to 5 hours (so you have some wiggle room). My strategy: I answered all the questions and marked my answers right in the exam book - then went back to the ones I put a question mark by, when the proctor announced "30 minutes remaining" I began on the answer sheet immediately. For some people it works better if they mark their answer sheet as they go along. After you do a few practice mocks you will get a feel for which way you are more comfortable with. At the end of the day on the 20th, make your final preparations - set out the most comfy clothes you have to wear for the test day; pack up what you will be taking (picture ID, 3 books, quiet snacks, jacket etc.). Schedule something you will enjoy doing on the 21st so you have something pleasant to look forward to. I purposely made an appointment to get my hair cut right after work, then met my husband for dinner - no books, no last minute review. It was either in my head by then or it wasn't going to be. That little break helped me lower my self imposed stress level a bit, I think it would do the same for you!

TheresaR

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
Thank you for the marking tip! I actually don't know if I would have thought of that but when I took the practice exam I did not use the bubbled answer sheet that came with it and I do think that would take up precious time, especially when skipping over questions. I'd then waste time making sure I colored in the right bubble, so great tip! I know I'm one of those over thinker types so that will be a detriment to me, I'm sure! So I will do as you suggest. Unfortunately, the exam site I will be at is almost five hours away, so I will be driving the whole day before. I am planning to leave early of course so that I do have plenty of time to unwind in the hotel room and get a good night's sleep (I hope!).
Did you just study the Blitz program or did you take some sort of a course in coding? And now that you have passed the exam, may I ask what your plans are? It's sounds like you already have an exciting job with the traveling and all!