• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

Professional Advice.....

Sparky

Good Morning! First of all great webinar last night, very interesting topics covered and very informative.

At different times I have posted my professional background on the forum, and not to be a broken record, have over 18 yrs as administrative assistant, try to break away from that field, went back to school and studying to become a coder, the education I am receiving is not helpful in anyway, when submitting exams, there is no explanation to any incorrect answers I give. Just says "comment, incorrect code". I am on my last module of this course and really cannot wait til its over with.

I currently work at a small private law firm with feedback I would strictly be reviewing medical records (at least to keep up on medical info). Now I am suppose to get familiarize with 156 files and learn the legal stuff. Very Frustrating!:(

I know the job market is not good right now and it is getting harder and harder for us new comers getting into this field. I have submitted resume after resume even for Receptionist positions (entry level) to at least get my foot in the door. I am working on getting my certification. I'm at the point, I feel I am going to lose what I have learn and as this journey of mine continues I may have to repeat the studies.

I stated before I will not quit this field, it is very challenging for me and I love challenges. Please advise on how I can maintain my rhythm of learning and not lose the knowledge I have gained to this point. This is another reason why I mentioned we are relocating, there is nothing here in Pennsylvania. Thanking you in advance for your time. Have a Great Weekend!!!

Laureen

Queen Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Hi Sparky,

These are just questions I routinely ask for those who are struggling to find that first job after certification:

1. How often are you submitting a cover letter / resume per week. I've found sometimes it comes down to a numbers game. You have to get so many nos to get to a yes.
  2. Are you limiting where you submit your resume? Don't skip the ones that say they want experience.
  3. Are you searching for just coding jobs? There are many jobs where coding is a function of the job not the only skill needed. Consider other titles in a medical office where your coding credential would be values but not necessarily the job title.
  4. Have you had your resume and cover letter reviewed? This is your opportunity to get to the next step - phone screen/interview so make sure it stands out. Emphasize skills from current or former jobs that are important to coding.
Keep on looking - every coder working today had that "first job" - you will too.

Sparky

Laureen, I submit every day. I went for medical records, schedulers, clerk - admissions, medical front office, everything that I review whether the want a certain experience level. I submitted to hospitals, phyician's offices, everywhere. I will gladly send my resume and cover to you and may comment on what I may be missing. Thank you Laureen

Carmen

Carmen Butler, CPC
Hi Sparky,
You have no idea how lucky you are to be able to review medical records at a private firm...Take advantage of this opportunity and learn everything you can, you will be a much better coder than many...In terms of not loosing what you have learned, the videos, the books and the blitzs along with the vast amout of information available in the internet is your answer.... I had a hard time remembering the modifiers, so I took an entire week and studied nothing else but modifiers, and it worked for me...Make a plan, review one thing at a time and relax, this is a very rewarding career....you'll see. Do not look at the glass half empty, you are half full.

Sparky

Carmen, I don't do it on a daily basis, only when they need something specific. I would like to do it more often but they are trying to make more a legal person and not the medical person. They are trying to make me into something that will never be.

Alicia Scott

Moderator, CCO Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
This is all great advice. It can be very frustrating especially at the point where you find yourself. I had one student go on 11 interviews. She took a job at the hospital in supplies to just trying the "foot in the door" technique. Two weeks later she laded a great coding job at another facility. Now, that being said, I agree with Carmen. Knowing medical records inside and out is a HUGE plus. That is what I do all day, read encounters and the fact I know where everything is at a glance on one makes me a faster coder. It doesn't matter if the format is different the basics in an encounter are the same. What you are doing is also great for a coders resume.

Take a deep breath. Pass that exam! Real education will happen on your first coding job. Also....TX is booming. Did you know we have more people moving to Texas every month then any other state in the union? The oil fields are going nuts. People are flocking here and everyone else is trying to keep up.....including medical offices. Just saying.........

Sparky

I don't have the opportunity to know the medical records thoroughly, that's the point, this place knows I have a medical background but they don't care about that. They are trying to make into a paralegal person and I will not be pushed into something. That is why I am concern that I will lose the knowledge that I have gained in my studies. I cannot even get one interview for any type of medical job whether its entry level or not.

Trust me I look everyday on the internet, in the newspaper, apply for out of state jobs, you name I have pursue every avenue and no I will not give up but at times I really wonder. I am doing everything to get to the point of getting that certification exam under my belt, right now it is getting harder financially.

Carmen

Carmen Butler, CPC
Hi Sparky,

Just take it easy.
I am from another country (Military wife) and one thing is for sure, USA is wonderful country . Think about those of us that come to this country with no english, no drivers licences and no sense of direction. Then we are giving the great opportunity to study and have a career to make us responsibles US cityzens. Love your life, your career and all the opportunities that come along with being employeed and exposed to new things. Embrace the challenge and enjoy the ride. Nothing stays the same, see this period as a base for better things tomorrow.

Sparky

Thank you all for your comments and advice. I truly appreciate your support. The only thing I will add is that what I accomplished did not come easy, I fought hard to get where I am at, with no help from no one, no support not even from family, no nothing!!! I came out of a shell of not being confident about myself. When I finally realized that nothing comes easy in this world of ours, you either work your butt off or quit trying. In today's world there are simple things given to those who can do for themselves but don't. I had to prove to others I was hungry enough to achieve goals in my life. I WILL NOT QUIT! IF I DO, "I LOSE". WHY SHOULD I DO THAT, SO EVERYONE CAN LAUGH AT ME? Again, thank you for the support.

Sparky

I RESPECT each and everyone here because I know you all have come a long way to get where you are. It is a struggle each and every day. This a wonderful thing, because no matter who we are, we come together as one - we help, we learn, we work hard, we strive and we communicate. And if we don't continue to do that........................

TheresaR

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
Wow, Sparky, I thought I was reading letters that I wrote myself! We have a LOT in common. Except that, even though you may not feel it and I can understand, you are lucky to have a job in a law firm. I don't need to tell my story because it's pretty much identical to yours. I literally spend 8 hours a day, at least, applying for jobs online and then I print out a cover letter to match what they are asking for, grab my resume, spend a long time getting all dressed up and then drive to the facility and personally hand someone there my cover letter and resume. I do this everyday! What a humiliating experience this has all been. I have 15 years experience in the legal field but because I haven't worked in five years job agencies won't even accept my resume!!! I've applied for jobs in medical settings that are the very lowest rung on the ladder and they pay barely above minimum wage and STILL want 2 years experience! These are phone answering jobs! I have a bachelor's degree in which I got straight A's on every assignment and I had perfect attendance and that wasn't 20 years ago, it was in 2007. Like I said, this is a very humiliating experience. I hate to think that our society has come to think that if we are over 50 we should be put out to pasture. I'm very discouraged and I have started applying for minimum wage, retail jobs :(

TheresaR

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
oh, and Sparky, don't want to make you feel worse, but I do have my exam under my belt--no one cares. They want experience. period.

TheresaR

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
wait, that last comment was too negative! I'm sure there are incidents where one can get hired with no experience, I do agree with Laureen on that, but that also typically involves the old adage "it's not what you know, it's who you know" and unfortunately I know no one here.

Sparky

Hi Theresa, thank you so much! I gave myself so many goals in my career (s) I thought I would not have to worry anymore and here I sit again, worrying. I will be 49 in a couple of months and don't see myself retiring or grazing in the pastures anytime soon. :) I started this journey and I will struggle too, but no one is going to beat me down. If anyone does that it will be me, myself and I. When I stated no one was there for me, well I should kick myself, because if it wasn't for my husband, he was the only one there for me no matter what, as I have been there for him. He too is struggling and with college under his belt.

Anyway, I went from a job that I loved (that's what gave me the boost to go back to school to begin with), ending up training someone else for my position, to unemployment, to almost working 24/7 working at a gift shop, to having only the clothes on my back, then found temporary work stripping (unloading) tractor trailers and sorting clothes, and now current position.

Truthfully, I am not happy with the current employer, it's ego competition, there is no leadership in this place. Between family, in-laws, friends running the show, no leadership. I don't plan on staying very long. Since I don't have a background in law and no proper training, I know who will get blame for everything. I refuse to let that happen!! There is no one is around to ask questions, you have to figure it out on you own and then they pile more on you. Yes, I go to work every day, to my tasks to the best to my ability, then I go home to study. Enough about that.

We all need to work together to fight for what we have accomplish and to make OUR VOICES heard!! Nobody is better than anybody else, we all have our flaws, our world is struggling, but those who are determine, good people, reliable, hardworking.............get knocked down for NO reason. You are so right Theresa, "it's not what you know, it's who you know". I have been there, done that. I had my hopes up to where I felt confident again, only to have it stomped to the ground, humiliated. Yes, we do have a lot in common. I hope to continue this conversation with you. Thank you again.

Linda

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
Just to add my one cent ( inflation) I am an RN since 1986 the last 11 years I went from working ER to coding/auduiting for ER when that job was done I applied for nursing jobs they said I was out of practice for to many years and can't find a job there either,that doesn't envolve a lot of lifting wow I guess after 50 we are not needed any more, but they keep increasing the age for retirement. Hmmmm government doesn't make sense to me. So working towards coding cert. Hope that goes better. But I have to wonder. Iam using my life savings to go to school and not have to work a back breaking job at the same time. I study 8-10 hours a day.Hoping for a bright rainbow, not a gray one. Linda

TheresaR

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
Well I got a call from a job agency today---but they want to talk to me about a job in a law firm. I'm totally torn now. I did schedule a meeting with the agency for Thursday morning. My thought was that if I could just get in their door and they can meet me maybe they'll remember me for a medical office job when one comes open! (I'll post on how it goes) Actually, I quite enjoy legal work. I think there is a lot of similarity to the type of work structure between legal and medical coding and that's why I chose the coding. I like tedious work and research and everything all wrapped up neatly--guess I'm kind of the anal type! So who knows if the agency will even send me on the interview but I must say, honestly, at this point I am contemplating pursuing legal work again.
Linda, your situation makes me think I should, too. I can't believe with all your experience that you are getting closed doors. It is such a shame. I feel bad for you. And you make a very good point about how the government continues to raise retirement age but the general public thinks were old at 50! I wish you the very best of luck with your coding career, but since you are putting so much into it, you should be aware that it may be a struggle to get a job in this arena as well. I would think with you medical background you'd be a top candidate, though!

Sparky

Linda and Theresa, I too received a call today as well for a "clerk-admission" position I applied for, it is less money but to gain the experience in a medical setting I'm considering. It was a cold call not an actually "interview" call; I have to wait on a manager for that (if they consider me).

Yes, great point about how the government continues to raise the retirement age but we may never see our retirement benefits (no money left). I thought it was about how much experience you have, not that you went to Harvard or Yale. These companies are willing to give those positions to someone coming fresh out of college with NO experience instead of someone with experience and a work history in the same field. Hmmm, what is wrong with this picture??

Ladies, I enjoyed our conversation and hope to hear from you both. Theresa, "Good Luck" with your meeting on Thursday. Linda, you are that bright rainbow, don't let anyone tell you different. Each one of us has a goal and we have HEART, we have a bond.

Linda

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
Thank you sparky,nice thing to get that phone call getting your foot in the door is where it starts the experience is worth the money-- good luck -- will be thinking of you for that spot ;)

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
Good Luck, Theresa! I hope your interview goes well. Keep us posted.

Good Luck, Sparky! I hope you get an interview for the clerk-admission position.

Linda, keep studying and you will pass your coding certification exam.

TheresaR

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
That's great, Sparky! At this point, I'd be jumping for joy big time if I could get a "clerk-admission" job. My bigger challenge is still trying to get my husband to understand why I don't have a coding job yet when I did my research on the job market in this field before taking the course. Sheesh! I don't have a crystal ball!