• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

Putting in Apprentice time

Kimberly121

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
ICD-10-CM Student
I was wondering how much "time" needs to be put in to meet apprentice requirements and remove the CPC-A status. When they say you need one or two years on the job experience, is that full time, or can it be a few hours a week/month? I'm not sure how it works and if there's a minimal amount of hours that need to be documented by the employer. I'm really having a hard time finding anyone willing to take on a "trainee" - it seems everyone wants highly qualified and experienced workers that won't have time to train newly certified coders. Any suggestions?

Alicia Scott

Moderator, CCO Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
I called the AAPC just now to clarify this for us. What they are looking at is not clock hours. They are looking at time as in a month. In that month if you worked 30 hours or 80 doesn't matter to them. They want you to have real world experience. If you take a college course and get 80 clock hours, not credit hours, then that is a year to them. That is why the college I taught at allowed the students to take a year off of their "A". The same goes with CCO. If you take our PBC course it is = to a yr off of your "A".

So, don't think of it in hours but rather days. If you volunteer for a month that is a month off of 12 months.

Alicia Scott

Moderator, CCO Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
You get a month if you work a month it doesn't matter how long or many days you work as long as the company states the time you started and finished.