• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

Question about diagnosis

Sandy

MTA Student
I was posting charges, I first read the conultation note and reviewed the diagnosis that the Doctor had listed. The diagnose listed was for 1) CA of the Colon, stage IV, 2) Coronary artery disease, 3) Congestive heart failure. But I noticed in the notes that Dr stated "has advanced carcinoma of the colon with liver metastasis." And that a different doctor was handling the the heart(CAD, CHF) issues. I think that the diagnose should be Primary CA of liver with CA of the colon 2nd, is this correct? Or because it is documented that way I shouldn't change it?

Alicia Scott

Moderator, CCO Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
There are a few things to ask yourself here. The first would be what is the Consultation for? If the doctor is doing a consultation for the present Ca then that is the one you list first. A secondary Ca can be listed first but you use the secondary code. The pt has Ca of the colon that is now in the liver. If his consultation is about the colon the code for this goes first. Note: with "liver metastasis" means that this Ca is secondary so you don't call it Primary. Again, if the doctor is treating the liver Ca then it gets listed first even though it is a secondary code. The code itself tells the story that it is secondary now if it is placed first in the line up. On a side note primary Ca codes tend to start with a 1 and secondary Ca codes tend to start with a 2. Not always the case but most of the time.
Does that answer your question?