• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

Surgery coding

Jamie Trun

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
HCC Student
So I am about to start my new job as a Coordinator-Medical coding/claims at a hospital where I'll be working in the department or surgery. I was wondering what additional books or references will help me. I am working on bubbling and highlighting my 2015 book. But at my other job I really didn't need much extras since it was at a physicians office. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

joannesheehan

CCO Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
CCO Practicoder
PBB Student (CPB™)
ICD-9 Student
PBMA Student (CPMA®)
ICD-10-PCS Student
HCC Student
So I am about to start my new job as a Coordinator-Medical coding/claims at a hospital where I'll be working in the department or surgery. I was wondering what additional books or references will help me. I am working on bubbling and highlighting my 2015 book. But at my other job I really didn't need much extras since it was at a physicians office. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!
Hi Jamie,
Are you talking about a physician medical billing office in a hospital, such as a group practice management department where all hospital "employed" surgeons bill as Physician Part B - the only difference being they are salaried opposed to being independent? OR are you talking about facility billing in general? If it is physician billing, I would just keep my CPT, HCPCS and ICD-9-CM with me and probably an anatomy and physiology book as a reference tool in the event you are overseeing a surgeon's notes that you are not as proficient in. For example, you may know how to code neurosurgery without a reference book but may need to look at the anatomy book for micro-hand surgery.