• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

Took my CPC test 11/9/2013-my test experience :)

Rosetta D

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
ICD-10-CM Student
I took my CPC test today---Wow what a day I am exhausted !!! lol

Test check in was 8 am---I woke up at 4 am I couldn't sleep---left my house in NY to drive to NJ ...got there at 7am I was the first car in the parking lot and just hung out in my car until other people arrived...the drive was better then I expected... at that time ..there was no traffic but you never know so I allowed myself enough time.
(I packed my self 2 peanut butter sandwiches, banana, bottle water, juice and some other odd and ends snacks...on my drive in I drank my morning coffee and had a banana)

There were about 25 people taking the test ( mostly woman--I think about 5 men--- in a nice sized room. There were 3 procters and they checked books---I saw some lady have her yellow post it notes removed---test started around 8:40am the procter announced the time lapse every hour---

I started my test from the back--I had mixed feeling during the test --at first feeling confident but time was flying by---I started getting a headache and had to take an advil--I ate one of my peanut butter sandwiches during because just to get something in me...I drank water during then 2nd half of the test drank some juice to raise my blood suger..lol but really did not think of having any snacks because time was just whipping by. I went to bathroom 1 time------the room was quiet I didn't even have a chance to look up---but I did start feeling fatigued and had a slight headache during the test 2nd half of the test.

I did not have time to finish every question and fill in" B" all down the line where I didn not complete.
Not sure exactly how many I had to fill in..

Basically it was a long test that flew by..I feel like I knew the material if I only had more time

So we will see mixed feeling on how I did--fingers crossed!!! :)

After the test I told my husband --it felt like I was in a Coma and then woke up---one minute it was 8:30am the next 2:30pm lol

Nevergiveup

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Practicoder
Rosetta,
You should be a writer from the way you described your experience taking the CPC exam. I am sure you did just fine. Fingers crossed for you.:):):)

Anna

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
Rosetta, let us know how you did on the test. You should get your results online sometime this week.

Rosetta D

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
ICD-10-CM Student
just got my results---did not pass:(---back to studing I go :(

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
You will pass next time, Rosetta! I did not pass on my first attempt, but I passed on my second attempt.

Kathy

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
MTA Student
just got my results---did not pass:(---back to studing I go :(
How did you score? I take my re-take in December.... It's been so hard to get motivated, I have studied so hard for months and didn't pass so I really need some motivation and boost of confidence to get my head in the game. I don't even want to think about sitting at the exam again for over 5 hours. Good Luck on your next attempt.

Nevergiveup

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Practicoder
How did you score? I take my re-take in December.... It's been so hard to get motivated, I have studied so hard for months and didn't pass so I really need some motivation and boost of confidence to get my head in the game. I don't even want to think about sitting at the exam again for over 5 hours. Good Luck on your next attempt.
Kathy,
You are not the only one who did not pass on their first attempt that is why the AAPC gives you a free retake. Did you get a complete breakdown of your exam. AAPC will email it to you if you ask them. They are very good about sending it to you. You can do this Kathy. I have to retake my exam too. Good luck to you.

Just a side note. Please don't take it the wrong way. Some people will not disclosed their score on the exam. They want to keep it to themselves.

Anna

Kathy

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
MTA Student
Kathy,
You are not the only one who did not pass on their first attempt that is why the AAPC gives you a free retake. Did you get a complete breakdown of your exam. AAPC will email it to you if you ask them. They are very good about sending it to you. You can do this Kathy. I have to retake my exam too. Good luck to you.

Just a side note. Please don't take it the wrong way. Some people will not disclosed their score on the exam. They want to keep it to themselves.

Anna
You are so right, I shouldn't of asked the score, I wasn't thinking. I really just wanted to see if my score and her score were close since we both have been studying with the same course. (Sorry Rosetta)
What do you mean about a complete break down, I saw my % on each section when I look at my results, is this what you are speaking of?
I haven't given up yet, I've spent way too many hours this year learning all of this to just quit. I am making a study plan right now and I am going to buckle down and I WILL PASS !! Good luck to you too!

Nevergiveup

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Practicoder
You are so right, I shouldn't of asked the score, I wasn't thinking. I really just wanted to see if my score and her score were close since we both have been studying with the same course. (Sorry Rosetta)
What do you mean about a complete break down, I saw my % on each section when I look at my results, is this what you are speaking of?
I haven't given up yet, I've spent way too many hours this year learning all of this to just quit. I am making a study plan right now and I am going to buckle down and I WILL PASS !! Good luck to you too!
Kathy,
You will get a % breakdown of the whole exam. On the AAPC website they just give you the breakdown of the ones you got wrong. This way you can see your % of the sections you did well in. If you got like 80% for example in medical term, you will not see it on the website. That is what I am talking about. Kathy you are going to do fine because u have a positive attitude and that is the key. Did you start from the back of the test first? That will help you because that is where the medical term, anatomy and the guidelines are? That will help you with time. You will fly thru them because you know the material. Kathy, I know you will pass. Thank you. I have a lot of studying to do for next year. I know I will pass too. Post again once you get your results so I can say congrats to you.:):):)

Anna

Rosetta D

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
ICD-10-CM Student
Hi---I have realized a lot of people don't post there scores, I think it is compared to asking some one their salary, lol--I would however be interested in hearing how other people score--I know sometimes they do post if they got a 69% --however, I don't mind---I got a 59%.

I missed/ got wrong 61 Questions -----so 150-61= "89"correct .----if I would have gotten 16 more right I would have least got a 70.

I was surprised about 40% in E&M---I did well on practice exams and I thought I knew that pretty well---so I will focus on that area------also time was a big issue for me. At first I was doing great with the time----started from back (easier questions)---150,149,148,147 etc....but there were times when I didn't know what section I was in so it started to confuse me , of course I could tell by the type of question I was given , but still confusing because for the beginning if you see "cardiovascular" then you can wrap your brain around what you are looking for.

BY the time I was near question 60 (keep in mind I was going backwards)---I was getting fatigued, I had a slight headache,my eyes were getting blurry , my neck was killing me, my arms were going numb, time was going fast---I had to pee...lol.

I am a PBC student, listen to blitz----but honestly did not work much with the text book that I was given and that is my focus with re studing --I have been looking at the text book -and realize there are "Gems" in the text book/study guide.

My breakdown of score was interesting ICD 9 got a 50% ---not sure that is an accurate score because I did run out of time and filled in the blanks on each, also I did review prior to this test but have not really learned ICD 9 since Janurary so prob forgot the "guidelines". ----and the speed thru time threw me off.
Med Term got a 87%, HCPCS 80%, Coding Guidelines 83%, Anatomy 87%----most the 10000 series-60000 I got 40%, 50%, 60% , I guessed about 25 Question --chose "B" down the line ---but I know time was the issue so I am not to discouraged because for the most part , "I Know It". ..

I am scheduled again 12/21-----on a time crunch---my student access is ending soon and don't want to have to bubble and highlight my books again as a "student" will enjoy it more as a CPC :) then once I pass I will work on becoming proficient with practicode.:)

Nevergiveup

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Practicoder
Hey Rosetta,
I thought I did better on E&M too but only got 50%. You are going to pass Rosetta when you retake on December 21st. I can feel it. I am reading my textbook as well and coding edge cause they had good articles on the series 10000. You did great on med term, anatomy and HCPCS, coding guidelines.

Anna

Last edited: