• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

Two Letters

CCO-support

Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
According to the AAPC, two letters are needed before we register for the board exam.
My question is
Once I am done witht he 80 hours program, can I received one of these letters from CCO?
Thank you

R

Ruth Sheets

You do not need two letters to register for the board exam. I think what you are talking about are the letters you need to remove the "A" from the CPC-A once you pass the exam. Or if you have sufficient experience, you may submit the letters prior to the exam.

Here's where I found information on this: http://www.aapc.com/apprentice/applied-experience.aspx

If you have not taken an 80 hour course, you need 2 letters and 2 years experience. If you have taken an approved 80 hour course, such as the CodingCertification.Org Physician Based Medical Coding Course, you need one letter stating that you have had one year experience as a medical coder from your employer and proof of completion from the approved 80 hour course.

Yes, CCO will provide the necessary documentation once you successfully complete the 80 hour course.

Follow the exact directions you find on the AAPC site to satisfy their requirements at the time you are getting certified.

Rosetta D

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
ICD-10-CM Student
curious---does "coding" for "one" specialty count as experience?-----as in Oral Surgery?--thanks

Karen Fan

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
I never thought to ask what qualifies as experience, I have been coding laboratory for the last year, and billing for the last 19 years I just figured it qualified. On another note Thank You Laureen for all the help, I used the fast method of practice testing each question in 1.45 minutes, not focusing on every detail, and just READING the question on my CPC test today. I finished all the questions with 7 minutes to spare. Now I just wait for the results, but I feel really good about this one.

Thank You
Karen

Laureen

Queen Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
curious---does "coding" for "one" specialty count as experience?-----as in Oral Surgery?--thanks
Any coding experience is accepted. Most coders work in one specialty so it is expected. Best wishes!

Laureen

Queen Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Thank You Laureen for all the help, I used the fast method of practice testing each question in 1.45 minutes, not focusing on every detail, and just READING the question on my CPC test today. I finished all the questions with 7 minutes to spare. Now I just wait for the results, but I feel really good about this one.

Thank You
Karen
I'm happy to hear one of my tips helped! Keep us posted on your results.

Michele

CPC
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
According to the AAPC, two letters are needed before we register for the board exam.
My question is
Once I am done witht he 80 hours program, can I received one of these letters from CCO?
Thank you
I submitted two letters documenting my experience to AAPC the day after I found out I passed the November CPC board exam. The staff at AAPC were very prompt and processed the additional information quickly. The "A" was removed (on the AAPC website) within two weeks, followed by documentation by mail. Hope this helps to answer your question.