The April 2016 Q&A Medical Coding Webinar from Certification Coaching Org (CCO) discussed a variety of topics of interest to outpatient and inpatient medical coders. The topics discussed included 2016 HCPCS Changes for IUD Placement, “First Credential to Go For: Medical Biller or Coder?”, Excludes Notes in ICD-10-CM, Coding Ulcers of the Amputation Stump, Best Practice Coding Tips for Obesity Weight Management, Integumentary ICD-10-CM Skin Issues, and
CABG Coding Review. The CCO VIP opportunity was also discussed. Attendees’ questions on various coding topics were answered. Educational topics were presented by Jo-Anne Sheehan, CPC, CPC-I, CPPM; Alicia Scott, CPC, CPC-I, CRC; and Laureen Jandroep, CPC, CPC-I, COC, CMSCS, CHCI, CPPM. The host for the webinar was Boyd Staszewski.
April 2016 Q&A Medical Coding Webinar
1. Certification Coaching Q & A Webinar April 2016
2. This Month’s Q & A Medical Coding Webinar Agenda: 90-120 min II: Q&A from the CCO Community I: Introduction
- CCO News and Updates
- JoAnne Sheehan
- Contraceptive Placement of IUD and Changes in the 2016 HCPCS codes
- Alicia Scott
- First Credential to go for – Medical Biller or Medical Coder?
- Coding Ulcers of the Amputation Stump
- Best Practice Coding Tips For Obesity/Weight Management Visits
- Integumentary ICD-10 skin issues
- Laureen Jandroep:
- Excludes Notes in ICD-10
- CABG Coding Review
3. This Month’s Q & A Medical Coding Webinar Agenda: 90-120 min IV: Your Questions in the Chat III: Close – @ 90 min-’ish’
- CEU Certificate Download Link
- Ask Along the way in the Questions box. NOTE: We can’t answer every question. If your question isn’t selected, post it on our forum where fellow coders can help: https://www.cco.us/forum/
4. Why Stay To The End? Giveaway! Free Drawing of Your Choice of 1 of the following: Blitz Video Package | 2 CEU Webinars | 1 Hour Session with Laureen or Alicia and… Your AAPC CEU link for 1.5 CEUs (a change tonight)
5. Did you attend? Join the conversation! Go To: https://www.facebook.com/cco.us
6. Poll Poll Poll – Did You Attend? images from http://healthcon.com/
7. First Webinar With Us? Poll How many CCO webinars have you attended?
8. Poll – What region of the country are you from? Poll
9. CCO Monthly Q&A Medical Coding Webinar CEU Changes Attendees: Accessed within 24 hours
- $5 – Worth 1 to 1.5 CEU per meeting
- Webinar Attendees: After 24 hours (only available to Replay Club Members):
- $0 – Included in your membership ($19.95 month) https://www.cco.us/club. Don’t need CEU’s? Continue to attend the CCO webinar for free!
- Leslie Elliott – 03/19/2016 – Completed CPC Course (PBC)
- Jessica Galley – 04/14/2016 – Completed CPC Course (PBC)
- Lilybeth Rivera Garcia – 03/31/2016 – Completed CPC Course (PBC)
- Kathy Rundman – 03/19/2016 – Passed CPC Exam
- Lilybeth Rivera Garcia – 03/31/2016 – Passed CPC Exam
- Leslie Elliott – 03/19/2016 – Passed CPC Exam
- Janice Boylan – 04/02/2016 – Passed CPC Exam
- Kathleen Vawter – 04/02/2016 – Passed CPC Exam
- Jessica Galley – 04/14/2016 – Passed CPC Exam
11. Q & A From the Community Jo-Anne Sheehan, CPC, CPC-I, CPPM CCO Sr. Instructor / Coach; Alicia Scott, CPC, CPC-I, CRC CCO Education Director; Laureen Jandroep, CPC, CPC-I, COC, CMSCS, CHCI, CPPM CCO Founder and CEO.
12. Question: I found a discrepancy in the 2016 Workbook regarding the HCPCS code for the Mirena IUD. The J7302 appears deleted. Can you help me figure out the correct answer? ANSWER Jo-Anne Sheehan, CPC, CPC-I, CPPM CCO Sr. Instructor / Coach Contraceptive Placement of IUD and Changes in the 2016 HCPCS codes
13. First Credential to go for- Medical Biller or Coder? Question: What is the best way to study for the certificate exams? Also, what order would you recommend to take if I wanted be a Medical Biller and Coder? ANSWER Alicia Scott, CPC, CPC-I, CRC CCO Education Director
15. Excludes Notes in ICD-10 Question: Hi Laureen I am desperate for your words of understanding. YOU have a way of making things clear for me. I have a question about Excludes notes in ICD 10. Provider documented both M54.17 and M51.17. M54.17 has the excludes1 for M51.17. So, does that mean I only code the M54.17? I am confused when both are documented and which code I am suppose to use. Could you PLEASE help clear up my muddy water? Thank you SO much!! I have read the guidelines, but that isn't clicking either — Debbie ANSWER Laureen Jandroep, CPC, CPC-I, COC, CMSCS, CHCI, CPPM CCO Founder and CEO
16. Coding Ulcers of the Amputation Stump Question: Patient had pressure ulcer on BKA stump and now she is has BKA revision. I wanted to do primary T87.89 (other stump complication) however coding tips reflect “Do not assign a code for complication of an amputation stump for an ulcer (due to pressure, diabetic ulcer, arterial, trauma, stasis, or other) of the amputation stump. Ulcers of the amputation stump are not considered amputation stump complications.” How do I code it? Alicia Scott, CPC, CPC-I, CRC CCO Education Director ANSWER
17. Need Presentations for Your Local AAPC Chapter? The Local AAPC Chapter of Savana GA for “What is HCC/Risk Adjustment Coding” More Information: https://www.cco.us/remote-presentations/
18. CCO Presents Free! Topics include: Need Presentations for Your Local AAPC Chapter? More Information: https://www.cco.us/remote-presentations/ The Local AAPC Chapter of Columbus GA for “EM Coding: Locate Your HEM in Time” EM: “Locate your HEM in Time – A Unique Way to Understanding EM Coding” What is HCC/Risk Adjustment Coding How to prepare for CPC Exam Modifiers – It’s All About The Money How to “Prepare for ICD-10 Proficiency without Stress” CPT Coding updates Any section of the CPT Manual – Anesthesia, Integumentary, Digestive, Medicine Any section of ICD manual or guidelines Any topic you’d like developed! “Cardiology Section of CPT” Jackson MS
19. Best Practice Coding Tips For : Obesity/Weight Management Visits Question: What are some best practice coding tips for Obesity/Weight Management Visits? Alicia Scott, CPC, CPC-I, CRC CCO Education Director ANSWER
20. Integumentary ICD-10 skin issuess Question: Can you please discuss ICD-10 coding for skin wounds, ulcers, abscesses, infections and cellulitis? I am looking to clarify the difference between wound and the other types of skin issues previously listed. Alicia Scott, CPC, CPC-I, CRC CCO Education Director ANSWER
21. CABG Coding Review Question: I need clarification on the differences in use between 33533 and 33534, 33535, 33536. This stems from a question on a practice exam “72 year old undergoes a two vessel autogenous coronary bypass for one vein and one artery.” It may be an easy response but the theory does not click with me yet. I am taking my test on Saturday and know that a CABG will be on it. ANSWER Laureen Jandroep, CPC, CPC-I, COC, CMSCS, CHCI, CPPM CCO Founder and CEO
22. It’s FREE! Join Now! Limited Seats Available! Details & Register Now: https://www.cco.us/webinarvip
23. Case Study: Did CCO Help Your Medical Coding Career?
- Q: What Benefits Have You Experienced From Working With CCO?
- A: free practice tests on CPC exam; Blitz Videos; monthly Q and A webinar
- Q: What Specific Results Have You Gained From The Education At CCO ?
- A: gained CPC credential and my ICD-10 proficiency completed; confidence in my Medical Coding skills and efficiency
- Q: Does CCO Training Help You In your Career or Your Work Place? Does It Save You Time Or Money?
- A: My training at CCO has not only given me the tools to pass my CPC and ICD-10 requirements but they have given me the confidence that I am worth more in my career. I have saved money using CCO instead of paying the normal college level prices for courses in Anatomy and Physiology and Medical Terminology. I loved the fact that the time I spent with the lectures from CCO was all based on my own time and that I could hear each module as many times as I needed too. Teresa O'Mally CPC
24. If you don’t already receive our newsletter, send a message to helpdesk.cco.us request to join ‘The Insider’s Club’ (Send from the email address you wish to receive your newsletter). Join the “CCO Insider’s Club” Monthly Newsletter:
- Timely Industry Announcements
- New Course Announcements
- Remote Seminar Partners
- Congratulations to our Grads!
- Testimonials – what are people saying?
- Current Blog links Gain Access to Our Best Free Medical Coding and Reimbursement Resources!
- Introducing our New Weekly Newsletter Format “Heads-Up Tuesdays” Short and Sweet Links to:
25. Your Questions from the Chat Questions In The Chat- April 2016 Your Webinar Chat Team
26. Medicare Annuals Question: Would love to know more about Medicare Annuals, as we know they are not physicals
27. COSC Specialty Question: Hi! I am planning to take the COSC certification exam but needs help in finding resources that will help me prepare to the test aside from the study guide and practice exams offered by AAPC. I have been an orthopedic coder for 1 1/2 years now but ortho is a very complicated specialty. I appreciate any help. Thank you.
28. Discharge Diagnoses Question: When coding diagnoses on discharge, the guidelines state that for inpatient, you should code the “possible, suspected, and/or rule out” conditions, but would this be the same for present on admission if a rule out is listed? Ex.. parkinson’s disease, rule out cerebral vascular insufficiency
29. OASIS Review Question: What certification do you recommend for a RN who wants to do OASIS review and coding
30. CCA and CPC Question: I'm taking the CCA with AHIMA to begin with. Should I also consider taking the CPC in a couple years. I'm coding now at my job and doing billing as well. Holly
31. Manifestations in Physician Charts Question: Is it a requirement for manifestations to be documented in the physician chart note for ex DM w/nephrology with linking terms?
32. Happy Coding! The Local AAPC Chapter of Columbus GA and The Local AAPC Chapter of Savana GA