The August 2016 Q&A Medical Coding Webinar from Certification Coaching Org (CCO), www.cco.us, presented a variety of topics of interest to medical coders and billers. Topics included Transitional Care Management (TCM) – Medical Decision Making (MDM) Leveling, Breast Cancer: Specific Details Now Required, Wound Care Centers, HTN: Controlled vs. Uncontrolled, Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Repair Coding, and Cardiac Cath Clarification – Congenital Defects. The CCO VIP opportunity and CCO’s Lunch & Learn Coding on FB Live, were also discussed. Attendees’ questions on various coding topics were answered. Educational topics were presented by Jo-Anne Sheehan, CPC, CPC-I, CPPM; Chandra Stephenson, CPC, CIC, COC, CPB, CPCO, CPMA, CPC-I, CCS, CANPC, CEMC, CFPC, CIMC, CGSC, COSC, CRC, CCC; Alicia Scott, CPC, CPC-I, CRC; and Laureen Jandroep, CPC, CPC-I, COC, CMSCS, CHCI, CPPM. The host for the webinar was Boyd Staszewski.
1. Certification Coaching Q&A Medical Coding Webinar August 2016
2. From the Medical Coding Community
- Jo-Anne Sheehan, CPC, CPC-I, CPPM CCO Sr. Instructor / Coach
- Alicia Scott, CPC, CPC-I, CRC CCO Education Director
- Laureen Jandroep, CPC, CPC-I, COC, CMSCS, CHCI, CPPM CCO Founder and CEO
- Chandra Stephenson, CPC, CIC, COC, CPB, CPCO, CPMA, CPPM, CPC-I, CCS, CANPC, CEMC, CFPC, CIMC, CGSC, COaaSC, CRC, CCC CCO Program Director
Q&A Hear and See Us Okay? Yes: Type #1 in Questions Box | No: Type #2 August 2016
3. WELCOME! First Time?
Overview: General webinar about all things medical business certification and medical coding, billing & practice management related. Welcome to the CCO Community! – We can’t hear you ;) – You can type a question in the chat: we will ATTEMPT to answer during the webinar BUT it’s not easy… – Stay to the end for free giveaway and CEU’s
4. First Webinar With Us? Poll How many CCO webinars have you attended?
5. August 2016 | Q&A Medical Coding Webinar Agenda: 90-120 min II: Q&A from the CCO Community I: Introduction
- CCO News and Updates
- JoAnne Sheehan:
- Transitional Care Management (TCM) – Medical Decision Making (MDM) Leveling
- Alicia Scott:
- Breast Cancer: Specific Details Now Required
- Wound Care Centers
- Laureen Jandroep:
- Cardiac Cath Clarification – Congenital Defects
- Chandra Stephensen:
- HTN: Controlled vs. Uncontrolled
- Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Repair Coding
6. This Month’s Q&A Medical Coding Webinar Agenda: 90-120 min IV: Your Questions in the Chat III: Close – @ 90 min-’ish’
- CEU Certificate Download Link Ask Along the way in the Questions box.
NOTE: We can’t answer every question. If your question isn’t selected, post it on our forum where fellow coders can help: https://www.cco.us/forum/
7. Why Stay To The End? Giveaway!
- Free Drawing of Your Choice of 1 of the following:
- Blitz Video Package
- 2 CEU Webinars
- 1 Hour Session with Laureen or Alicia and… Your AAPC CEU link for 1.5 CEUs (a change tonight)
8. CCO Graduates July Update
9. CONGRATS! CCO Courses Recent Exam Passers!
- Crystal Braddock CPC 04/23/2016 Using CPC Blitz
- Pamela Wolf CPC 06/11/2016 Using CPC Blitz
- Rosemarie Belan CPC 07/16/2016 Using CPC Blitz
- Joell Peters CPC 07/23/2016 Using CPC Blitz
- Jennifer Steinlauf CPC 07/16/2016 Using CPC Blitz
- Patricia Perdue CPC 07/28/2016 Using CPC Blitz
- Marquette Johnson Green CPC 07/16/2016 Using CPC Blitz
- Dave Tidwell CPC 06/04/2016 Using CPC Blitz
10. CONGRATS! CCO Courses Recent Exam Passers!
- Rosanne Barnett CPC 08/06/2016 Using CPC Blitz
- Mary Yabut CPC 07/16/2016 Using CPC Course (PBC)
- Jennifer Wilkerson CPC 07/09/2016 Using CPC Course (PBC)
- Malinda Wildey CPC 03/22/2012 Using CPC Course (PBC)
- Susan Dowe CPB 07/19/2016 Using CPB Course (PBB)
- Carolyn Cassady CPC 07/16/2016 Using CPC Course (PBC)
- Mary Yabut CPC 07/23/2016 Using CPC Course (PBC)
11. CONGRATS! CCO Courses Recent Exam Passers!
- Terrance Parmegiani CPC 07/16/2016 Using CPC Blitz, Practice Exams
- Denise Frazier CPC 07/29/2016 Using CPC Blitz, Practice Exams
- Kathy Maloney CPC 08/10/2016 Using CPC Blitz, Practice Exams
- Justin Bustamante CPC 08/06/2016 Using CPC Blitz, Practice Exams
- Melanie Bleem CPB 08/06/2016 Using CPB Course, Practice Exams
- Jeanette Springer COC 08/12/2015 Using COC Blitz
- Lisa Dietrich-Blocker CPC 07/22/2016 Using CPC Blitz, PBC Course, MTA and Practice Exams
12. CONGRATS! CCO Courses Recent Exam Passers!
- Gena Maher CPC 07/23/2016 Using CPC Blitz, Practice Exams
- Susan Bonenfant CPC 07/23/2016 Using PBC Course, Practice Exams
- Denise Hess CRC 08/01/2016 Using CRC Blitz, CPC Blitz, Practice Exams
- Sharon Andersen CRC 08/06/2016 Using CRC Blitz
13. Poll Poll Poll – Are You Certified?
14. Q&A August 2016 Let’s Do This!
15. Question: I would like for you to go over TCM leveling for the physician’s office. My understanding is that it is based on the medical decision making only, but I would like to learn more about it. Could you possibly discuss this in the next monthly Q&A webinar? Answer Jo-Anne Sheehan, CPC, CPC-I, CPPM, COC CCO Sr. Instructor / Coach Transitional Care Management (TCM) – Medical Decision Making (MDM) Leveling
16. Free Job Aides and Coding Reports https://www.cco.us/free-tools-reports-and-exams-for-medical-coding-and-billing/
17. Testimonials and Reviews https://www.facebook.com/cco.us/reviews
18. Poll What AAPC coding credential do you HAVE?
19. Breast Cancer: Specific Details Now Required Question: Can you present something on Breast and Cancer areas, since treatment is now being focused on the unique or rare type the patient is felt to have? ANSWER Alicia Scott, CPC, CPC-I, CRC CCO Education Director
20. What coding credential do you WANT? Poll
21. CPT 2017 Print + Digital Bundle
- CPT® Professional Book 2017
- CPT Assistant Digital Archive, contains all articles (1991- 2016) and…
- CPT® Professional App, featuring a handy code lookup tool, a powerful E/M code selection wizard and hyperlinks to pertinent CPT Assistant articles. Use on up to 5 devices!
- Includes 3 Products Packed with Information Provides 2 Ways to Find the Correct CPT Code:
- Traditional book lookup using the time-tested organization and indexing of CPT Professional, or the digital power of the CPT Professional App.
- The app contains:
- Quick CPT code lookup capability;
- Complete 2017 CPT code descriptions, augmented with vignettes, clinical examples, RVUs and CPT Assistant references; plus
- E/M code selection wizard, offering CPT, CMS 95 or CMS 97 guidelines at thecoder’s option
- Download instant cloud updates and corrections Pre-Order the 3- in-1 Bundle $149.95 http://cco.pe/cptbundle
22. Wound Care Centers Question: There is really not many resources out there for coders in Wound care and it is a very busy department with lots of hurdles to go thru for payment of these services. We have Skin substitutes, HBO treatment, Debridement. Even just coding the Diabetic Ulcers themselves, with ICD-10 codes that don’t reflect the Wagner Grade system my providers use, is a nightmare! ANSWER Alicia Scott, CPC, CPC-I, CRC CCO Education Director
23. $100 off CCO Courses Sale Ends August 31, 2016 Midnight EDT
24. HTN: Controlled vs. Uncontrolled Question: How do you make a distinction between controlled and uncontrolled HTN? Answer Chandra Stephenson, CPC, CIC, COC, CPB, CPCO, CPMA, CPPM, CPC-I, CCS, CANPC, CEMC, CFPC, CIMC, CGSC, COSC, CRC, CCC CCO Program Director
25. https://www.facebook.com/cco.us/ Wednesday 2PM EasternLunch and Learn Coding
26. Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Repair Coding Question: Can you cover abdominal aortic aneurysm repair coding in a future webinar? Answer Chandra Stephenson, CPC, CIC, COC, CPB, CPCO, CPMA, CPPM, CPC-I, CCS, CANPC, CEMC, CFPC, CIMC, CGSC, COSC, CRC, CCC CCO Program Director
27. Poll – What region of the country are you from? Poll
28. Cardiac Cath Clarification – Congenital Defects Laureen Jandroep, CPC, CPC-I, COC, CMSCS, CHCI, CPPM CCO Founder and CE Question: In reference to the CPC Blitz Medicine Video covering Cardiac Caths for congenital defects, I understand they are coded in 3 parts- cath, injection and imaging. However in the video, and in the guidelines, I am confused as how to code for the imaging. Is it 93567- add on code for supravalvular aortography or is it coded from the radiology section. Also, could you point out where in the guidelines or parenthetical notes it directs us to code the imaging? It seems so vague, I must be missing something! Answer
29. CCO Presents Free! Topics include:
- Need Presentations for Your Local AAPC Chapter? More Information: https://www.cco.us/remote-presentations/ The Local AAPC Chapter of Columbus GA for
- “EM Coding: Locate Your HEM in Time” – A Unique Way to Understanding EM Coding”
- What is HCC/Risk Adjustment Coding
- How to prepare for CPC Exam Modifiers – It’s All About The Money
- How to “Prepare for ICD-10 Proficiency without Stress”
- CPT Coding updates
- Any section of the CPT Manual – Anesthesia, Integumentary, Digestive, Medicine
- Any section of ICD manual or guidelines
- Any topic you’d like developed! “Cardiology Section of CPT” Jackson MS
30. New Blitz Reviews Ready for You
31. Your Questions from the Chat – Questions In The Chat- August 2016 Your Webinar Chat Team
32. PFSH leveling in EM coding – Can you go over how to level PFSH in EM coding? On your form you show 1-2 is pertinent and 3 is complete but if it is an established patient 2-3 is considered complete? http://emuniversity.com/PFSH.html
33. Preparing for the CPB Exam: Joanne, I am going to be taking my CPB exam on 9/10 any advice? What to study? Thanks :-) Jennifer Know how to read and apply the NCCI with choosing CPT codes, know modifier usage. Understand reports such as an A/R reports. Know insurance models such as HMO, PPO etc., BCBS, Medicare, Medicaid, Work Comp, Commercial carriers and TRICARE. Know the different laws involving Fraud and Abuse, Truth in Lending, False Claim Act, etc., requirements for credentialing, how to register a patient, and verify insurance coverage. Review CPT, ICD-10-CM and HCPCS.Know the rules for medical necessity involving NCCI, NCD and LCD. Know how to fill out a CMS-1500 form and a UB-04. Know about EDI. Retake your chapter tests as often as you can for practice and to gain speed and efficiency.
34. Resources for Chiropractic Billing Question: I self-taught myself coding through AAPC course and successfully passed the CPC on my first attempt! I also started a new job two weeks as the ONLY Biller and Coder at a small chiropractor and NP office… Any resources you can think of to help a newbie find out 1) more about billing for a medical and chiropractic office and 2) any chiropractor or billing specific FB groups? I know Jo-Anne is the chiro expert would love any suggestions. Thanks so much! See next slide
35. Resources for Chiropractic Billing
● Chiropractic billing is very different than medical billing. I would recommend going onto each payer website to get their specific requirements for coding and billing.
● Medicare has very specific requirements. They are restrictive. They do not pay for X-Rays, office visits, modalities, manipulation of extremities.
● Medicare also requires a specific modifier against the manipulation codes.
● NP practices have to abide by state laws and they vary widely. Contact the Board of Nursing for your state and understand the NP’s role on certain procedures such as giving BOTOX injections.
● There is a book called Nurse Practitioner’s Business Practice and Legal Guide, 2nd Edition by Carolyn Buppert. (See next slide)
36. Resources for Chiropractic Billing
37. Rules re: non treating provider I do wound care coding…where can I find the “legal” document pertaining to a provider who is on vacation and another provider doing a “new” refill rx? I think that the non treating provider can put in notes stating they have read and agree with the treating provider – do they also have to explain why they are doing the refill as the non treating provider? Need help please.
38. Rules re: non treating provider
● Look up the rules on Locum Tenens and Substitute Physicians under Reciprocal Billing. https://www.cms.gov Enter the key words in the search bar.
● There are specific guidelines for both so match the criteria that applies to your office.
● Modifiers are required:
● Q5 is a service furnished by a substitute physician under a reciprocal billing arrangement.
● Q6 is a service furnished by a locum tenens physician. See next slide
39. Rules re: non treating provider LOCUM TENENS
● The regular physician is unavailable to provide the visit services.
● The patient has arranged or seeks to receive the visit services from the regular physician.
● The locum tenens provider is paid for his/her services on a per diem or similar fee-for-time basis.
● The substitute physician does not provide services to Medicare patients over a continuous period of longer than 60 days.
40. Rules re: non treating provider Reciprocal Billing
41. Digital CPT – Is the electronic CPT for just phones or is it a app that can be used on tablets? The electronic CPT can also be on a tablet such as the IPad.
42. LIKE us on Facebook http://facebook.com/cco.us Help Us Get The Word Out
43. Links Referenced in the Webinar
- Forum – https://www.cco.us/forum/
- Testimonial – https://www.cco.us/testimonials/
- BookStore – http://store.cco.us/
- Swag Store – http://www.cafepress.com/CCOSwag
- MAUD Webinar Link – https://www.cco.us/medical-coding-auditor
- ICD-10 Blitz – https://www.cco.us/icd-10-cm-diagnostic-coding-system-review-blitz
- ICD-10 Full – https://www.cco.us/icd-10-cm-diagnostic-coding-course
- RA HCC – http://cco.pe/10qGz8g
- MCB – https://www.cco.us/course-bundles
- Course List – www.cco.us.com
- Replay Club – https://www.cco.us/club
- Facebook – http://facebook.com/cco.us
- YouTube – www.YouTube.com/MedicalCodingCert
- CEU Link – http://go.cco.us/ceu-freezing
- CCO VIP Program – https://www.cco.us/webinarvip
- Risk Adjustment 2.0 – https://www.cco.us/certified-risk-adjustment-coder-crc-course-exam- preparation
- Free Practice Exams- Job Tools- Coding Reports https://www.cco.us/free-tools-reports- and-exams-for-medical-coding-and-billing
44. Jo-Anne Alicia Laureen Chandra Darcy Happy Coding!
45. Join our Coding Community https://www.cco.us/webinarvip Thanks For Coming!