July 2013 Q & A Medical Coding Certification Webinar.
The webinar covered many medical coding topics including Medical Decision making Preventative Code & E/M, Late Effect vs. Residual Effect, Pressure Ulcers, Benign and Malignant Neoplasms, Multiple Dx’s, OB Coding for Mother and Baby. Presentors were Laureen Jandroep, CPC, CPC-I, CMSCS, CHCI and Alicia Scott, CPC, CPC-I.
July 2013 Q&A Medical Coding Certification Webinar
- 1. Coding Certification Q & A Webinar – July 2013 Laureen Jandroep, CPC Sr. Instructor, CodingCertification.Org
- 2. Twitter Chat • Twitter Chat Service is Not Available Tonight – Use the GoToWebinar Chat instead.
- 3. Poll Poll – How many CCO webinars have you attended?
- 4. Who is Laureen? •Graduated with a Bachelors in Occupational Therapy •Owned and Managed Rehab Agency •Owned and Managed Medical Billing Company •Owned and Managed Billing and Coding School – brick and mortar as well as online
- •Started National Coding Discussion List “Coding & Reimbursement Network” – now the CCO-L •Sold Online School which is now operated by AAPC •Currently works full time for 3M HIS/CodeRyte as a Clinical Development Specialist •Teaches Coding Certification Review Blitz as well as other coding seminars. •Has taken and passed the CPC, CPC-H, CCS-P, CCS, RCC and currently maintains her CPC, CPC-I and new CPPM credentials •Married since 1989 with 5 kids (1 grown step-son and 4 little ones age 7 and under.
- 5. Who is Laureen?
- 6. Who is Alicia? • Held several jobs in the medical field from, CNA, EMT, Pharmacy technician and Medical Records Abstractor, Analyst and Nursing. • Joined the AAPC and became certified as a CPC in 2011 • Working towards Masters in Healthcare Administration with an emphasis on education. • Former Instructor at a private college teaching medical coding and billing and medical law and ethics. • Working now as a remote Medicare Advantage Coder for Optum. • Alicia will tell you that not only does she love medical coding but she has a passion for teaching it. • Presently Alicia lives in West Texas and is married with six children (no that is not a typo!)
- 7. Who is Alicia?
- 8. Who is Alicia?
- 9. •Master of Ceremonies for CCO Q&A Webinars •Web Administrator for CodingCertification.Org •Business coach Who is Boyd?
- 10. And the rest of the CCO Webinar Team? Lisa Perez – Marketing Director, Newsletter Editor Ruth Sheets, CPC-A, Administrative Specialist Sylvia Ann Wiegand, Administrative Assistant – Helpdesk Read More https://www.cco.us/about-us/
- 11. Stay to the End For… • Giveaways • AAPC CEU Index Code for 1 CEU
- 12. WEBINAR CEU’s ! Monthly CCO Webinars: • * Now worth 1 CEU • per meeting • * 12 free CEUs per year -Regular Attendees -Replay Club Members https://www.cco.us/club
- 13. Denise Herry (passed CPC 6/24/13) Binta Campbell (passed CPC 6/27/13) Natasha Johnson (passed CPC 7/2/13) Delissa Angel Ortega (passed CPC-I 7/3/13) Jacinte Lytle (passed CPC 6/29/13) Sharvari Patel (passed CPC 7/3/13) Marykay Stein, CPC-A (passed 7/5/13) BobbieJo Repar (passed CPC 7/17/13) Anyone else out there who passed recently? Congratulations to…
- 14. Poll Poll – What coding credential do you have? CPC CPC-H CPPM CCS Other
- 15. Student Case Studies Our Special Guest Tonight… Marykay Stein, CPC-A • 100_0522.jpg
- 16. Poll Poll – What coding credential do you WANT? CPC CPC-H CPPM CCS Other
- 17. Medical Terminology & Anatomy Course (MTA) Physician Based Medical Coding Course (PBC) Review Blitz Video Package (included in PBC) 150 Question Downloadable CPC Practice Exam (included in PBC) Combo MTA + PBC Course (includes all of the above) NEW – Facility Based Medical Coding (FBC) (CPC-H course) CEU Webinars ICD-10-CM MiniCourse CodingCertification.Org/Products Quick Outline of Product Lineup
- 18. Poll Poll – What region of the country are you from?
- 19. Medical Terminology & Anatomy Course (MTA) 40 CEUs! Review Blitz Video Package 15 CEUs! CEU Webinars ICD-10-CM MiniCourse CodingCertification.Org/Products Need CEUs?
- 20. V58.30, 915.8 and E920.5 Laureen, Can I ask a strange question. I had an issue with using an E-code for a finger stick. E920.5 with a V58.30 or 915.8 as primary codes. I was told that the E-codes were only for inpatient usage. I just want to confirm that for future reference. Thanks. Cathy ANSWER
- 21. AAPC says: A “late effect” is the residual effect that remains after the acute phase of an illness or injury has terminated. It also says: The residual effect is coded first and is followed by the “late effect” code to show the cause of the late effect condition. ANSWER Late effect vs Residual effect
- 22. Multiple DX’s in 1 Category Hi, If a chart has documented that the PT has substernal chest pain radiating to LT shoulder. And when pain is at it’s worst feels pressure. Should we code only 786.51 or 786.51 AND 786.59?? Can we code 2 in the same category? Thanks for any input! Linda ANSWER
- 23. From Amanda: Please help me understand how to properly code for a routine well-woman exam (preventative yearly check-up) for an established pt under 39 yrs, AND a separate issue, like depression. (the primary reason for the visit is the preventative care, but during the visit the 2nd reason, depression, is discussed and pt issued rx for meds and/or counseling). Wouldn’t it be 99395, 99213-25? I’m SO confused with modifiers. Thanks for helping. ANSWER Preventative Code + E/M with modifier?
- 24. Neoplasms, Benign and Malignant What is the difference between benign and malignant neoplasms. ANSWER
- 25. In E/M , in Medical Decision Making , Number of Diagnoses ( New Problem ) Maximum 1.What does this mean ? Can someone explain this to me .Thanks . ANSWER Medical Decision Making
- 26. Pressure Ulcers Pressure Ulcers. Multiple sites at different stages, it says code each site and each stage. BUT is that: site, stage, site, stage OR site, site, stage, stage ANSWER
- 27. OB Coding, Mother and Baby Now my question. 655-656 fetal conditions affecting the mother’s care. Are there any codes here that would be recorded on the fetal record, or is everything on the mother’s record until the fetus is born and starts having complications after birth? I know most so far goes on the mother’s record but I guess I am confused as to when the baby’s record starts. ANSWER
- 28. Like us on Facebook http://facebook.com/CodingCertification http: Help Us Get The Word Out
- 29. Follow us on Twitter Subscribe and leave a comment on YouTube Your Testimonials!https://www.cco.us/testimonials Help Us Get The Word Out
- 30. Blitz Video Package or 2 CEU Webinars or 1 Hour Session with Laureen Free Drawing! Your Choice of: http://random.org
- 31. Thanks For Being With Us!
Presentors were Laureen Jandroep, CPC, CPC-I, CMSCS, CHCI and Alicia Scott, CPC, CPC-I.