• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

Questions on the PCB Training Course.

adpoz

According to AHIMA's website, one of the eligibility criterias to take the CCS-P exam is that a student needs to have taken a coding course that includes anatomy & physiology, pathophysiology, pharmacology, medical terminology, reimbursement methodology, intermediate/advanced ICD. Does CCO's MTA and PCB course satisfy this requirement or would I need to take another course in addition to MTA & PCB?

Laureen

Queen Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Hi adpoz,

I know AHIMA changed some things regarding their coding exams. I'll have to research myself but are you saying you can't take an exam unless you've had a course in all of those things?

Of that list our MTA/PBC combo does not cover pharmacology or reimbursement methodology. I don't understand why pharmacology is needed for a physician based coding credential - that sounds like the CCS exam not CCS-P. As far as the other items then yes it does cover those. We do have a billing course now that would address the reimbursement methodology but again this sounds like requirements for the CCS not CCS-P.

I'll do some research later in the week but if you have a quick link to these requirements that would speed things up.

Laureen

Queen Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Thanks for the link. Yeah I'd say they did a copy and paste. I'd email them and ask for clarification or ask how they determine if a course or courses met their requirement.

By Education: Completion of a coding training program that includes anatomy & physiology, pathophysiology, pharmacology, medical terminology, reimbursement methodology, intermediate/advanced ICD diagnostic/procedural and CPT coding;
Our MTA course uses "Medical Terminology & Anatomy for ICD-10 Coding" and it does cover disease pathology - but obviously not in depth as compared to an entire course dedicated to it. This is the link to the book description http://www.us.elsevierhealth.com/product.jsp?isbn=9781455707744&sgCountry=US&isbn=9781455707744 which you could use for these two bullet points:

• Anatomy and physiology content helps you accurately interpret medical reports to code effectively in ICD-10-CM/PCS.
  • Pathology terms are organized by disease and disorder classification so you can practice locating information just as you will when coding with ICD-10-CM.
  • ICD codes provided for pathology terms and signs/symptoms help you associate diagnoses with related codes.
Our PBC course does have a chapter on "The Business of Medicine" that might suffice for the reimbursement methodology requirement. Or you could take our new medical billing course but that seems over kill for this the CCS-P exam.

So that leaves pharmacology - we used to have a self-paced no lecture course for that before - I could bring it back if that would help people be able to sit for this exam and the CCS. I'll look into it.

Here is the items you'd be tested on http://www.ahima.org/~/media/AHIMA/Files/Certification/CCSP_Content_Outline.ashx

You'll note the pharmacology is just a part of the 10% for the whole exam.

adpoz

Thanks, Laureen. I'll contact AHIMA to ask for clarification on how a course meets their requirements.

As I'm new to the coding world, should I sign up for the PCB relatively soon, take the CPC exam and do all of this before the end of the year, which is when I understand the switch to ICD-10 will happen, or do I wait until close to the end of the year, take an ICD-10 training course, and then take the CPC exam next year when it will on ICD-10 codes?

Laureen

Queen Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)