• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

Dream Almost Fulfilled

Yesterday, I took the pre-test for the Penn Medicine Coding Academy and I PASSED!!!! I have an interview next week and the classes start in May. I cannot wait. I have wanted to be a coder since I graduated college in 1983. Unfortunately, there just weren't many coding jobs around at that time. Now with ICD10 about to begin, this is my perfect opportunity to get in and finally fulfill my dream.

Laureen

Queen Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Be careful using your real email addresses as there are automated programs that scour the internet looking for your address and you'll get all sorts of spam - use the PM feature instead - just a suggestion of course.

BTW what do you feel Penn offers that CCO doesn't?

Nicki Bress

Be careful using your real email addresses as there are automated programs that scour the internet looking for your address and you'll get all sorts of spam - use the PM feature instead - just a suggestion of course.

BTW what do you feel Penn offers that CCO doesn't?
Hi. Thanks for the tip.... I am new and didn't realize there was a PM feature. Penn Coding Academy is through a local university hospital here. They pay you to train.... If you get in. Then you are also required to committ to them for 6 years I believe.

Laureen

Queen Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Interesting - thanks for sharing and welcome to our community!

Now that we have come to the end of another year, I feel like sharing what my year has been. Well, earlier this year, I applied for the Penn Medicine Coding Academy. I surprised myself and passed the coding test and was on the short list for acceptance. It would have provided paid training as well as "a foot in the door" entry level employment. And, since at the time, I had been recently laid off, it would have been a fantastic opportunity. Unfortunately, I was not chosen for the term. But I did not give up. While being on unemployment, I was also researching their opportunities for training. I was in the process of preparing for their placement requirements but sadly, my unemployment ran out. Shortly thereafter, I received an offer for a job. It is only part time and I'm still looking for a full time job. I am hopeful that will happen soon. Now, for the really big news! One of the colleges I researched during my unemployment offers a Health Information Technology program (Associate in Science). I went to the open house and spoke with their representatives, which really got me excited. After much prayer, I took a chance and applied for a scholarship and actually won $5000!!!! So, I will be starting the spring semester at Peirce College in Philadelphia and will be working towards my RHIT!!! Plus, Plus, Also, And, within their program are courses that would earn a certificate in Medical Billing and Coding, which would allow me to sit for the CCS! I just wanted to thank the staff at CCO because if I hadn't stumbled across your website, I wouldn't be finally pursuing my dream!! Happy New Year!!!! See you at the webinar.

Laureen

Queen Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
That's an awesome story Melanie - thanks for sharing! Keep us posted on your journey.

Well, I am four days away now from starting my classes towards my Associate's degree. I am so very excited!!! Also, I found out that Penn Coding Academy is taking applications for its third class. I applied but not sure whether or not I will undertake both. Right now, my priority is what is right in front of me and the Penn Academy is five months away. See you all at the webinar.

David Silver

Congrats Melanie, the RHIT and CCS certification will almost certainly get you in the door of any hospital based inpatient coding training program. I was lucky enough, like yourself last year to pass the entrance test to Penn's Coding program. I did get selected to the program and have been working there since last May. It's been very intense but I believe very rewarding for my future in HIM. I'm was a mid-career applicant after spending my other professional life in mortgage and banking. Perhaps my varied background gave me a second look. There are RHIT program graduates in the program but not all have passed their RHIT certification exam. They are currently hiring for the 3rd year training program. The pay is definitely competitive. Our graduation is in May and then we have to commit to 3 years with Penn Medicine, not particularly as a coder. Another person, like yourself who took the exam, passed and didn't get selected got a position with Inspira in South Jersey in a similar inpatient coding training program where after completion was allowed to work part time. She is currently doing that. I can put you in touch with her if you would like. BTW we are all studying for our CCS and hopefully passing before ICD-10 get's implemented in October. At Penn, there is a requirement to pass the exam within 2 years after completing the training program. Again, congratulations!

Congrats Melanie, the RHIT and CCS certification will almost certainly get you in the door of any hospital based inpatient coding training program. I was lucky enough, like yourself last year to pass the entrance test to Penn's Coding program. I did get selected to the program and have been working there since last May. It's been very intense but I believe very rewarding for my future in HIM. I'm was a mid-career applicant after spending my other professional life in mortgage and banking. Perhaps my varied background gave me a second look. There are RHIT program graduates in the program but not all have passed their RHIT certification exam. They are currently hiring for the 3rd year training program. The pay is definitely competitive. Our graduation is in May and then we have to commit to 3 years with Penn Medicine, not particularly as a coder. Another person, like yourself who took the exam, passed and didn't get selected got a position with Inspira in South Jersey in a similar inpatient coding training program where after completion was allowed to work part time. She is currently doing that. I can put you in touch with her if you would like. BTW we are all studying for our CCS and hopefully passing before ICD-10 get's implemented in October. At Penn, there is a requirement to pass the exam within 2 years after completing the training program. Again, congratulations!
Thanks for the insight David. I did apply to the 3rd class. After starting my program at Peirce College, however, I am not exactly sure I would be able to handle both. Also, I have applied for other positions at Penn, and if I am hired, I will be able to avail myself of the pre-paid tuition program. So, either way, I am on my way to my certifications. Good Luck to you and may be I will see you at Penn soon.

Alison Niles

Hi all! I just got the email today that I have been invited to take the test for the Penn program! I could not be more excited! Any tips?

Hi Alison, congratulations. My only advice is to study and prepare as much as you can, especially your guidelines. The test is basically to determine what level of experience or knowledge you have about coding and how well you understand the guidelines. Make sure that you have the current books. Good Luck!!!!!

Alison Niles

Thanks Melanie! My professors have been very supportive and helpful...time will tell, this is my dream position as a starting point! We will see what the fates bring!

Tlynn1929

Hi David and Melanie,
I am scheduled to take the Penn entrance test in Feb and wondering how hard the test was? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!

jroberto163

Hi David!

I too have a background in mortgage and banking. I applied to the penn coding academy but have not been invited to take the assessment yet. How long after you apply do they invite you for the assessment? Also, can you give me more info on the pay, hours, and how often class is held? ( if you are done in May, is it a 52 week course?). Thanks for your assistance!!

David Silver

Hi David!

I too have a background in mortgage and banking. I applied to the penn coding academy but have not been invited to take the assessment yet. How long after you apply do they invite you for the assessment? Also, can you give me more info on the pay, hours, and how often class is held? ( if you are done in May, is it a 52 week course?). Thanks for your assistance!!
Sorry for late reply....did you take the exam? I believe they have completed the testing. If so you should have heard a reply today.

emjaybee

Hello, I'm new here and am also trying to get into the coding academy. I had my interview last week. Does anyone know how long it takes to hear something back after the interview and reference check?

Hello, I'm new here and am also trying to get into the coding academy. I had my interview last week. Does anyone know how long it takes to hear something back after the interview and reference check?
When I attempted to get into the academy in 2014, it only took about a week before I heard their decision. Good Luck to you.