• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

Green- very green.

Luna

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
So I'm not coding yet by any means. I do have some anatomy knowledge. I will be starting a coding course in about a month. But I have fun looking up codes and getting a feel for what I'll hopefully be doing some day with some success. For now though I'm green. Very very green. OK, maybe not even green yet. Just a little seed.

So, can anyone explain this to me? It was a quiz on FB. I thought I'd take a stab at it.

The correct code for removing 2 lobes of the left lung is 32440.

a. True
b. False

I went with a. True. But I stand alone. And because I am just a "seed" I'll admit I could very well be wrong. But I'm dying to know (grow) why?

Why is the correct answer b.?

The left lung has only two lobes. The body has two lungs.

32440 is "Removal of lung, pneumonectomy;"

So if two lobes of left lung are removed is that not a "removal of lung, pneumonectomy"?

I do see a code for a bilobectomy. (32482) But my seedling brain tells me that that code maybe used for say....two lobes of right lung or something like that....

Sharon Clarke

Blitzer
For what it is worth, I agree with you. I am also very Green. I saw it on FB as well.

I have a note (From the Blitz videos) in my CPT book on 32482 "2 lobes (bilobectomy)" that states ""Only on Right side on Left would be a. entire lung"" thus 32440 "Removal of Lung, pneumonectomy" (which includes the thoractomy) would be my choice.
So A. True ??

I would love to hear something from someone with more experience?

Luna

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Thank you Sharon.
It seemed to make sense to me to stick with 32440 as true too. Even if I am outnumbered on the FB quiz. At first I thought I must be wrong to choose A if everyone else is going B....but....I stuck with A. Your comment makes me feel not so alone. :)

I enrolled in the MTA (anatomy) and PBC (coding) offered here. I've not even cracked the books on the PBC stuff yet as I needed to get some anatomy/physiology under my cap first. I'm a little over half way through MTA now and getting even more excited to start the coding stuff.

Laureen

Queen Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Yay - can't fool our CCO seedlings!

From supercoder (another favorite encoder of mine)

Tips
Question: Is it correct to report CPT 32482, Removal of lung, other than total pneumonectomy; two lobes (bilobectomy), for the removal of one lobe of the left lung and one lobe of the right lung?
Answer: A bilobectomy, as per CPT 32482, is the removal of two lobes of the right lung. It is not considered a bilobectomy if there is removal of one lobe from the left lung and one lobe from the right lung. Bilobectomy is not performed on the left lung because there are only two lobes on the left side. When both lobes of the left lung are removed, that is pneumonectomy.

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
Any more encoders that you can tell us about, Laureen? I would like to have more than one to look at.

Laureen

Queen Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Those are my two favorites I go to daily. There are certain features of each that I like. I've been using findacode for a year now but supercoder is a new old favorite if you know what I mean. They've really made a lot of nice changes. I'm going to do a "shoot out" of some encoders one day to show others the feature differences etc.

Michele

CPC
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
Those are my two favorites I go to daily. There are certain features of each that I like. I've been using findacode for a year now but supercoder is a new old favorite if you know what I mean. They've really made a lot of nice changes. I'm going to do a "shoot out" of some encoders one day to show others the feature differences etc.
Looking forward to your "shoot out". Very interested to know the differences/features Laureen!
Happy Coding!

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Laureen did her "shoot out" during the January 2013 Q&A Webinar. You may view the replay of this video, as well as all the replays from the past, read the transcripts and answer sheets when you join the CCO Club. She also covered many ways to Be Your Own Consultant" including using Google, AAPC forum, the CMS website, Drugs.com, and WebMD.com.

Michele

CPC
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
Laureen did her "shoot out" during the January 2013 Q&A Webinar. You may view the replay of this video, as well as all the replays from the past, read the transcripts and answer sheets when you join the CCO Club. She also covered many ways to Be Your Own Consultant" including using Google, AAPC forum, the CMS website, Drugs.com, and WebMD.com.
That must have been at the beginning of the Webinar. Aaaargh!!! I missed it because Laureen's monthly webinars are held on the same dates as our local AAPC chapter monthly meetings. I always race to get back home to my computer in time to catch the beginning - sometimes traffic gets in my way and I miss a little at the beginning though. One more reason to join the CCO Club right? Happy Coding!

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
I will probably be using all the resources that Laureen talked about in my new job as a Remote HCC Coder. I wrote them down so I won't forget these resources.