• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

CPC To take a coding course or just the review blitz

Missy

Hi I have a question I have been doing medical billing for over 10 years and I am looking to get certified in coding as this seems to be the way to go for the future.
I was told by a friend that since I have doing billing for so long she thinks I just might need a bootcamp to get me prepared for the test. I was going to buy your medical coding review blitz but I want to make sure that I don't need to take some kind of coding course first. I have done some basic coding for the doctor I work for now as some of our practices don't have a billing sheet I read from the report and code accordingly. Anyone's thoughts on this matter will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Missy

Laureen

Queen Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Hi Missy,

Glad you found us! If you're not sure about the full course then I'd try the review videos then take a practice test. If your do really poorly then conver to the full course an we will take off what you paid for the Blitz. If you did pretty good then just keep doing practice exams (timed) until you score an 85%. If you'd like to chat with me send an email to https://www.cco.us/cco-helpdesk-request/. I'm going on vacation but will be back on the 28th.

Missy

Thank you so much for your help I think for now I am going to order the Blitz and see what happens I just didn't know what else I needed to complete the test. I read somewhere that I need a letter from a supervisor saying I have been coding do you know if I do need that or what I need for the test other then the books and hopefully being prepared.

Laureen

Queen Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Here is what the AAPC site says at http://aapc.com/certification/cpc.aspx (certification requirements tab)

Medical Coding Certification Requirements

1. We recommend having an associate’s degree.
  2. Pay examination fee at the time of application submission.
  3. Maintain current membership with the AAPC.
    1. New members must submit membership payment with examination application.
    2. Renewing members must have a current membership at the time of submission and when exam results are released.
  4. All exams will be reported with exact scores and areas of study (65% or less).
A CPC® must have at least two years medical coding experience (member's with an apprentice designation are not required to have two years medical coding experience.) Membership is required to be renewed annually and 36 Continuing Education Units (CEU's) must be submitted every two years for verification and authentication of expertise.

Note:
Each examination is separate and distinct from one another. To obtain all certifications, each examination must be taken separately and passed. Continuing Education Unit (CEU) submissions are required for all certifications. For CEU requirements please see our CEU Information page.

Missy

Thanks I think I can just have my employee write up a letter I will also contact AAPC and make sure its ok.

Hi I have a question I have been doing medical billing for over 10 years and I am looking to get certified in coding as this seems to be the way to go for the future.
I was told by a friend that since I have doing billing for so long she thinks I just might need a bootcamp to get me prepared for the test. I was going to buy your medical coding review blitz but I want to make sure that I don't need to take some kind of coding course first. I have done some basic coding for the doctor I work for now as some of our practices don't have a billing sheet I read from the report and code accordingly. Anyone's thoughts on this matter will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Missy

Hi there... I am somewhat new to "coding"... I currently work in the a Hospital in the Health Information Dept., but not in a coding capacity. I am the Secretary in the department and have been for the past 7 years...although I don't do coding, I am privy to some light coding, etc.

Anyway, I have decided to go through AAPC to obtain (hopefully!) my CPC-H Certification... I am just looking for some advice as to "where" to start with pursuing my goal of the certification. I am hoping I am doing this the correct way (via the AAPC), but so worried because I am going to be spending so much money on this (my employer doesn't provide reimbursement)...

Can anyone tell me the main difference between the CPC Certification and the CPC-H Certification? I know the CPC-H is focused on Outpatient coding, however, is the CPC Cert. just focused on doctor's office coding? Is one "easier" or "better" to have than the other? Not sure which one to pursue... they seem so closely similar.

Thanks so much for any help with this - I greatly appreciate it!

Good luck to all those starting!

Thanks,
Lori