• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

Q&A WORD doc: How to type a zero with slash

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
It was mentioned in the February 2014 Webinar that you can type a zero with a slash in it in Word.

Here is one way to do it, but if someone knows a simpler way, please post!!!!

You basically tell Word that you are going to be using EQ \o command (which says to overstrike the characters that you will be typing in). To do this use the Insert/Text/Quick Parts/Field menu and choose the EQ command. On that menu click Field Codes then Options. Choose \o() and OK.

As you are merrily typing along in your document, when you want a zero with slash, use CTRL F9 which will insert a { } with the cursor in the middle of the brackets. Next you type within the brackets:
EQ \o(0,/)
that is E,Q, space, backslash,lowercase letter O, left paren,zero, comma, slash, right paren --
which is saying combine a zero with a /. The whole area is highlighted, and you press F9 again and presto changeo, a zero with slash appears and all the messy stuff in brackets disappears.

Here's the link to explain it more:
http://wordfaqs.mvps.org/CombineCharacters.htm#Create

The good thing is once you got this character (zero-with-slash) in your document you can copy and paste it for all the other times you need it within that document. I was able to copy it to another WORD doc, but not to Excel doc. It is a non-printable character in Excel.

Personally I think it is easier just to choose a Font where the zero and the letter O look substantially different. Arial and Verdana are not bad, in my opinion. The font the forum defaults to is not good for this! Here is a zero followed by the lowercase O: 0o ... See what I mean?

BTW, some alphabets have a character that is a letter O with a line thru it, and you could use that, but then you are using the letter with slash to mean zero which has lots of potential to be misunderstood, I think. But if you want to take that risk, you could do an Insert|Symbol for that character... it's with the Danish letters.

Probably the best thing to do is to do it once in a WORD doc, and then keep copying the character whenever you need it. I can't copy it to this post, it shows up as
. LOL!

Happy documenting!

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
Thanks, Ruth. I use Verdana on all my documents (even Excel) so I will follow your advice and not use the slash with a 0. It looks complicated anyway. In fact, the typeface that I am using in this post is Verdana.

neyon

Consolas font has the slash zero built in, so you could just change the font, type zero, then change it back.

Alicia Scott

Moderator, CCO Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Great info. Thanks Neyon.

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Love it! Never heard of that font before, but I'll remember it now!

Laureen

Queen Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
I've been typing a bit of spanish lately and have the same problem with the different versions of letters with characters on top etc. So I have a cheat sheet of sorts and just copy and paste the character I need - I've added the 0̷ to my list.

Also I've read if you have a PC you can hold the ALT key down while pressing 0216 in order and then letting go of ALT key. I have a mac so it didn't work for me. On the mac this is how you do it Option-o: ø or Option-Shift-o for capital (Ø)

Happy Studying!