• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

CCO’s Formula for Success in Passing CPC® Exam

Laureen

Queen Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
I keep getting asked this question over and over so decided to post it here so I can just give a link out to this page.

CCO’s Formula for Success in Passing CPC® Exam

1) Complete a comprehensive 80 Hour Coding Course

we recommend the CCO Physician Based Coding Course

2) Complete a review course with test taking strategies

we recommend the CCO Coding Certification Review Videos

3) Complete TIMED practice exams until you score an 85%

we recommend the CCO Mini-Mocks

C

C19m19d

The Blitz videos were wonderful! I was pretty good at selecting the correct code, but S-L-O-W. Thanks to your excellent test taking tips and the review of each section, I passed my CPC on the first try with a 91%! :D Thank you!

Laureen

Queen Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Congratulations! Be sure to send Sylvia a note so we can recognize you on the next webinar. Helpdesk@cco.us

Happy Coding!

Nevergiveup

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Practicoder
The Blitz videos were wonderful! I was pretty good at selecting the correct code, but S-L-O-W. Thanks to your excellent test taking tips and the review of each section, I passed my CPC on the first try with a 91%! :D Thank you!
Congrats to you. Great score. Any other tips you can share with others who are getting ready to take the CPC exam?

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
That's awesome! Congratulations!

C

C19m19d

Congrats to you. Great score. Any other tips you can share with others who are getting ready to take the CPC exam?
Thank you all! In addition to the videos, I did the practice tests from the AAPC. I tried to complete them in 100 minutes, or two minutes a question. When I got to the actual test I felt like I had more time for each question, but confident that if I started running short on time I could go faster. I finished with about 20 minutes to spare and had some time to review a few questions I was hesitant about. Some people suggest working from the end of the exam first because the easier sections are there, but for me I wanted to tackle the harder questions in the beginning while I was feeling fresh and energized. By the time I got to the end of the exam booklet I was pretty tired and mentally drained so it was nice to have the easier questions. I think it is just a matter of what will work best for you. Good luck on your exam!

dljones2we

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
Although I am currently taking the Blitz, I need some practice coding in order to get my knowledge cemented and my test scores acceptable. Would you recommend the Deluxe CPC Exam Practice Package to help with this? Or is there some other recommendation you would make to help me with the upcoming CPC exam?

Laureen

Queen Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)

dljones2we

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
Thank you, Laureen. The mini-mocks are different from the AAPC practice exams, correct?

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
What is the difference between CPC-H and CPC-P? I know that CPC-H is for facility OP coding, but CPC-P is hardly mentioned. Does people use that credential very much?

Laureen

Queen Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Thank you, Laureen. The mini-mocks are different from the AAPC practice exams, correct?
Yes our mini-mocks are our own - they are similar in format to the AAPCs because we're mirroring the real exam questions just as they are but they are fresh questions and rationales. So after you burn through our 3 mini mocks you can turn to the AAPCs if you need even more practice.

Happy studying!

Laureen

Queen Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
What is the difference between CPC-H and CPC-P? I know that CPC-H is for facility OP coding, but CPC-P is hardly mentioned. Does people use that credential very much?
CPC-P is the Payor credential - designed for those working for an insurance company adjusting claims. You're right - we don't hear too much about that one. It is a small niche and I'd say the CPC credential would satisfy a payers requirements for a certified coder if that was part of their hiring criteria.

Here is AAPC's page on the
Certified Professional Coder-Payer (CPC-P®)
http://www.aapc.com/certification/cpc-p.aspx

More private and public payers (health plans) are recognizing the value of employing certified coders to process and analyze medical claims for payment. The CPC-P® credential meets the growing demand for certified coders in a payer environment.

The CPC-P® demonstrates a coder’s aptitude, proficiency and knowledge of coding guidelines and reimbursement methodologies for all types of services from the payer's perspective. Contributing developers include Dr. Marc Lieb, M.D., J.D., Susan Goldsmith, CPC, as well as a number of other well-known CPC-Ps in the payer community. Claims reviewers, utilization management, auditors, benefits administrators, billing service, provider relations, contracting and customer service staff can each benefit their practice with the CPC-P® credential.

The CPC-P® certification exam certifies that the successful candidate has the knowledge and skills to adjudicate provider claims effectively. The exam will test the examinee’s basic knowledge of coding-related payer functions with emphasis on how those functions differ from provider coding. The relationship between coding and payment functions will be explored in depth.

Debra Locke

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
Hi Laureen,

I take my CPC exam on the 21st of this month and while I haven't posted before I have absolutely benefited more than I could say from your review program. I originally purchased your full Physician Based Coding Course and then work became very busy so eventually I just had to study independently.

I finished my focused review using your Blitz video program recently and have "become one" with my manuals as you describe it. Now I just need to spend the next few weeks ensuring that my practice test scores meet that 85% score level.

I do have one question. I like the idea of your mini mock exams but wondered if they would work with the 2014 manuals? It would be much easier for me to find the smaller block of time starting out and I would like to identify any areas that are weak quickly so that I can correct them before taking a full 150 question practice exam.

Thanks!

~Debbie

Laureen

Queen Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Hi Debbie,

I loved your comments and your becoming one with your manuals <g>. And yes our mini mocks work for 2014 manuals. We update them each year and they are reccomended before any 150 question practice exam.

Don't forget you can tap into our student support call on Thursday nights and go over any questions - see your membership area for details or emai https://www.cco.us/cco-helpdesk-request/.

Happy Studying!

Debra Locke

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
Thanks Laureen. I am taking every practice exam I can get my hands on for the experience!

susan sayers

trying to bloom in life 2.0
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
Well after 2 fails I have decided (and can now afford) to take the CCO physician base coding course and terminology combo. Two questions and a request.
1. what work book is required for this course?
2.how do i get it to play on my android tablet?
and last but not least. I bought the blitz course 2 years ago,and while it was helpful it was no substitute for what I didn't learn at a community college. so I have the blitz already, do i need another copy or is it updated? If not updated can you give the blitz included in the course to someone else that maybe is a little thin right now?Just a thought. Looking forward to passing 3rd time.

susan sayers

trying to bloom in life 2.0
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
Thanks Debra. Love your title Clinical Investigator..

sally

i have a question. I have a degree for medical coding and billing, would like to take the cpc exam but since I graduated in 2011, i feel I need a refresher course. I have the gibill to use for school and was wondering the best coding school to go to that supports the G.I bill usage?