• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

Global Period

Jean Ngan

This is for the moderators, Alicia and Laureen. Can you go over how to answer a 0, 10, 90 days global period question? What keywords to look for in order to draw out the answers?

Alicia Scott

Moderator, CCO Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Laureen has an excellent way to do this in her Blitz videos. Let me go take a look again and I will post a note here. She is so much more savvy with CPT. I love her examples.

Linda Charlwood

PASSED CCS/Got the job!/wrk frm hme/PUP all day!
Blitzer
This is a good question. Any and all advise on the easiest and most efficient way to locate an answer is great advice!! Good question Jean!

Jean Ngan

Laureen has an excellent way to do this in her Blitz videos. Let me go take a look again and I will post a note here. She is so much more savvy with CPT. I love her examples.
Alicia, Thank you for the webinar on Thursday. I know that Laureen have covered this in her Blitz. Can she go over and explain more in detail again how to answer a 0, 10, 90 days global period question? What keywords to look for in order to draw out the answers. May be if she can put several senerios of Global Package questions on the Coding Certification.org facebook page for me and others to answer? Thanks.

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Laureen covered this it the December 2012 Q&A Webinar. Here it part of the transcript: "So there is a database on the CMS website called the Medicare Physician Fee schedule. Many other private payers use it as well but they don’t always follow it exactly. But at least Medicare does publish it. And in the column where it talks about follow up days, they are 000, 010, 090 and some other notations. But 000 means there’s no global days and these are usually for your minor procedures that don’t break the skin. Maybe they’re just shaving off a mole that’s on the surface of the skin. So if you did come back for follow up to that procedure, the physician would be okay to bill an E&M code. There are no future visits that are bundled into the procedure code.

010 means there’s 10 global follow up days. That’s normally for procedures where there is a break in the skin but it’s not considered a major procedure like a hysterectomy, etc. So any visits where the patient comes in and say, a week after the procedure, 7 days. That visit, you would not bill separately. You would not bill a separate E&M visit. It would be bundled into the CPT code for the minor surgery."

If you want more information, check out the CCO Club where you can get all transcripts and video clips. But basically, on the CPT exam they will either tell you the global period in their question, or it will be obvious that the global period is 90 when major surgery has been done.

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
I recommend that you copy the above information given by Ruth Sheets in CPT book for future reference. That way it will be there when you need it.