• Register to Access the Free Forums and 3 Free CEUs!

To view the content for the 3 free CEUs, please sign up today.

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
  • Missing Access To A Course, Blitz or Exam? Have Technical Issues? Open a Help Desk Ticket
    Please Do Not Post in the Community About Access or Technical Issues
    CCO Business Hours for Help Desk and Coaching: Mon-Fri 9am-4pm Eastern

Resolved Out of Numerical Sequence

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCO_Bot

Automated Robot
Staff member
Question:

Melanie Bleem:

Is there a webinar or short discussion that can be referenced on Codes that are Out of Numerical Sequence? I get to those codes and blank out on my next move. Thank you!

Answer:

Ruth Sheets:

Hmm. I never really analyzed this problem before.

Supposing you wanted to go to CPT 43270 in the manual. You use the info at the top of the pages called guide words (actually guide numbers in the CPT manual) to get you to the expected "right" page. In the CPT manual from AAPC, we would go to the page that had guide numbers 43260 - 43275 only to discover the code 43270 is in red and it says "Code is out of numerical sequence. See 43235- 43273".

Your first thought should be, "okay, I can find it. It is usually within a few pages of where I am now". Then just start at the first number in the range they gave you. Try using the guide numbers at the top of the pages to find that one. We find 43235 on the page with guide numbers 43229-43236. Then precede to scan the numbers toward the higher number in the range, namely, 43273, looking for the actual code you are trying to find, namely, 43270. Three pages later, we see 43270 , between 43257 and 43259. (Yep, that is out of order!)

However, you found it!

If you happen to FIRST find the last number in the range that they gave you , that is, 43275, you know you missed it, and it is time to repeat the process, and this time go a little slower. You will find it!

Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back